Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well there is certainly a big fat difference between a book being censored and a book being completely banned. RB talks about dealing with F-451 being censored many times over and how he was late to catch on, but once he did catch on everbody involved was fired. Here, he talks about it right under here. http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/dreamweaver/bannedbks/censorbradbury.html

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up stream a bit BiplaneI says, "On another thread I mentioned this to Ray and he said..."

Funny, I've never known RB to participate on the message boards. Did I miss something?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People ask him questions and then relay the answers. If someone can document when and where, if at all, F451 was banned, it would be of more use than "yes, it was" and "no, it wasn't."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple years back, there was this big commotion up at this place that Ray himself was going to go online in the next hour. Suddenly, chaos!! Everybody lining up to get first questions to Ray.

Before long, it proved a hoax. A big disappointment to many.

Yes, Ray has been read, on occasions, various postings. And has had transcripts of posts sent to him. But he has never, per se, been online.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for the book being banned or not being banned... I'll stick to discussing the usage of quotations and apostrophes.

I know nothing!!! I see nothing!!!

posted Hide Post
xxfig,
Many books have been "Challenged" by groups or individuals. This occuring in communities, school districts, local libraries and the like. "Throughout the country" seems to imply a federal enactment of some sort of law that would prohibit the publishing and even ownership of a book. The latter does indeed occur in several countries, e.g. communist-run ones or Moslem theocracies. This has NEVER occured in the U.S.
What has and does occur is the screening of material allowed into libraries and schools; this by individuals not publicly appointed to do so. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the result of this nowadays in many communities is more likely the exclusion ('banning", if you will) of Christian literature of nearly all genres; and especially works promoting pro-life and abstinence, from local libraries and especially schools.
Research that, if you dare.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the full text of the John-Boy Walton speech mentioned here? http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/online/bookburning/symbol.php It's a classic!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy,
From my quick research I found that, apparently, the quote was from a "Waltons" episode called "The Firestorm" in which, during the beginning of World War II, folks begin burning all books written in German in retaliation to Hitler's book burnings. John Boy draws one out of the fire and asks if there is anyone there who can read German. There is, and it turns out the book is a German Bible.
If you've the time, maybe this will get you on the trail of the full text: http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/2792/Keeper1.htm

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link!

posted Hide Post
Any luck since yesterday?