Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY WAS FAHRENHEIT 451 BANNED
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
grasstains: I can 'see' that headache ..."starting up already!"

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quotes: Used around exact words from a conversation, a passage from a book, titles (for songs, magazine articles, poems), also when refering to a number, letter, words (including foreign) offered specifically in a sentence. (ie., The word "existence" has three "e's" in its spelling.)

Apostrophes: For use in possessives, contractions, plurals of numbers, letters, symbols (ie., 3's, &'s, t's), and though really a quote within a quote they appear as an apostrophe. (ie., "I like his use of the word 'rumble' in that passage," the teacher commented.)

According to Mr. J.E. Warriner. What a guy!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-09-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good (and fun to read) orthographic source is "Eats, Shoots & leaves" by Lynne Truss.
The title is based on the punch line of a joke with which you may be familiar.
Notice I didn't say "...which you may be familiar with"; as that would be ending a sentence with a preposition! As Winston Churchill is supposed to have said, "[Ending a sentence with a preposition] is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."
By the way, Ms. Truss is English, so of course she knows best. http://www.eatsshootsandleaves.com/

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright. "A 'quote' within a 'quote'." I can deal with that. Thanks.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post grabbed my attention almost immediately. As have mentioned, Fahrenheit 451 has indeed been banned. Not only in just some schools, but the government. There are three different versions of this novel, two in which has been censored a great deal (obviously). As you have probably noticed, the ending of F451 almost seems too quick, as if there's a huge peice missing. It is exactly that. I'm sure the orignal version is a lot more detailed, but I highly doubt anyone of us will get the chance to read it, as mentioned above, the book has been banned several times in the past. The original version is still banned today. The reason being, I don't know, but I do recall a hella idiotic teacher who misunderstood the book and thought it meant that we should all hate and burn books. I guess that would be one reason to why it is banned in some places, but I doubt the same concept applies for the original version.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muted,

Please cite some specifics about F-451 being banned. I'll venture a guess and say you can't because it hasn't been. The volume that's readily and easily available at your library or bookstore is the work that Ray intended.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muted,
I question whether your teacher really thought that. He or she may have been trying to fuel reasoning/self thinking/illustrating the point of the book. What else did this teacher do that jived with this behavior?
Greentown

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, it has taken me a while, a good while, but I finally found a place that says Fahrenheit 451 was banned, where it was banned, and why it was banned.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030813004557/www.banned-bo.../bbarticle-miss.html ,

Technically you could just go to www.banned-books.com/bbarticle-miss.html directly, Its just the link I came across was this. It's also mentioned on this page, http://web.archive.org/web/20030813005732/www.banned-books.com/bblista-i.html (Again, you can start at the www.banned-books.com to get to it)

And an incident of censorship is talked of here, title.forbiddenlibrary.com

Now everone's happy or everyone's upset, or we may all be floating in the middle, but there yea go. Take that Pete.

Randomly appearing,

SilentIce (too lazy to put that as user name)

Posts: 5 | Location: Spring, Texas, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Ice,

And thanks for the links, and for taking me up on my challenge.

Unfortunately, your links refer to the same incident in 1999. Surely you'll agree that counts as a little bit of banning anecdote inflation. And while technically speaking a school is part of the government, removing a book from its reading list is hardly the same thing as having a book banned by the government.

My point: F-451 may have been removed from a reading list - and I've argued elsewhere that this isn't banning but merely the give-and-take that should be going on between concerned parents and the school system that teaches their children - but F-451 was still readily available at the public library, Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com, etc. And in its original version, that the truncated one referred to in Muted's post. You call that banning? Nice try.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wuts censorship?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The editing of something so that it does not offend, or something or other. And on the other note, I simply point out that the headlines go Mississippi School District Bans Book on Censorship: "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury, so if past that it only says it was removed from a reading list, well, its all good to me. I came across you bunch simply because F-451 simply happened to be the book assigned to my group to talk about whether or not it should have been banned/censored.

Posts: 5 | Location: Spring, Texas, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also came across this place,
http://library.dixie.edu/new/whybanned.html

posted Hide Post
Nice site.

It is worthy of discussion in a literature class. There are some great titles that have made this list. The irony is not lost.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok so i dont know where any of you got your information from but fahrenheit 451 has BEEN WIDELY BANNED THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. you are the first people i have ever said say they did not know it was banned. Im sorry but muted was right when she said that the book just ends. It seems like there should be more. The reason the book was banned because people took it to mean that we need to burn books which is ridiculous but i also think that people banned it because they thought it was going against the right to ban books. That book is one of the most widely banned books in history whether you want to believe it or not. It's so controversial and also did anyone ever see the famous jet jackson episode on disney where a teacher made the students read a banned book and he got fired. and then all the students sat out in the hall and protest and read the book. guess what the book was. suprise suprise FAHRENHEIT 451. do your research. trust me its there.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I'm almost positive I saw it in a "banned books week" display and I think those in the display are the "most often banned," so it must have been banned pretty often to be featured.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post