Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Smile

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Smile
 Login/Join

posted
Could someone give me an insight on "The Smile." I have an essay due and need to know as much about the plot and conflict as possible.

[This message has been edited by scrapper (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as story type, I classed it with the day-after-tomorrow, book-burning stories. Not really science fiction, as it is very, VERY relevant right now! Look at the beautiful art destroyed by the Taliban, including the oldest and largest standing Buddha in that part of the world, several thousand years old and blown up by their cannons. The other day they showed on the news a pit that used to be the movie theater containing reels of partially burned films. Yet several men, at risk of their lives, saved and hid films of especial interest "as a legacy for the children." This is the same principle at work in "The Smile." Do PLEASE NOTE: since the boy was able to carry home a scrap, of canvas, paper, or whatever material, it was not the original Mona Lisa being destroyed, as the original is painted on wood, but the principle is the same. The boy's society was destroying art, in this case a copy of the Mona Lisa. The art "said" something to the boy and he felt compelled, at risk of punishment, to save the part of it most meaningful to him.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terrific story. Interesting that in the society described, their main gripe is with technology, industry etc., yet they also see fit to destroy that which represents culture, thought and beauty. The audio reading by Ray is great.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post