Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Why didn't Mr. Bradbury sign?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why didn't Mr. Bradbury sign?
 Login/Join

posted
I visited the LA Times Book Festival yesterday (Sat. 4/27/02) to meet Mr. Bradbury, and get a couple of books signed. But to my disappointment, when I arrived at the designated signing area there was a large sign stating "Ray Bradbury will NOT BE signing today".

I was unable to locate someone who could tell me why. Does anyone here know?

Posts: 31 | Location: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps due to his health? Usually Ray is more than happy to sign lots of books while conversing with fans. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My concern was that it was some health (or similiar situation) as there was no earlier indication that he would not sign.

I've been a fan of his since I was young, and since I moved to L.A., I've attempted to attend a book signing but missed on several occasions. Is there a good source of information for upcoming signing events?

Posts: 31 | Location: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine went to the LA Times Festival yesterday, saw Ray speak, and had several books signed (one for me)...There was a limit, however. Perhaps he met Ray earlier in the day, and a later signing was cancelled?

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Mr. Bradbury speak on Saturday. He came out in a wheel chair, but he seemed very chipper. I did not look for him at the signing booth and they didn't make any announcements regarding the signing. I also saw, on CSPAN2, he was interviewed and he took phone calls. Perhaps he skipped the signing and did the interview/questions session. But, the interview/questions session was really great, on CSPAN. Check it out if you can.

Posts: 1 | Location: El Segundo, CA USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury did sign books. There were supposed to be two signing areas. One was for people who attended the lecture to get books signed after the lecture (the Barnes and Noble booth), the other was a later signing at the booth sponsored by Vagabond books. Mr. Bradbury did not go to the B&N signing, but did go to the Vagabond booth. You could get only two items signed, but there was lots of pre-signed books there. I'm sure Vagabond still has plenty of books available.

Posts: 1 | Location: los angeles, california, usa | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did, I think, a pretty thorough search of the c-span and related sites and could find no mention of the Ray Bradbury piece; the agenda seemed to include everyone but Ray. I'd really like to see the clip or read the transcript. Any suggestions?

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know about the Vagabond signing. I guess I just missed him (again).

If anyone knows of an upcoming signing, please let me know.

posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury Interview last week: I located in: OTHER RESOURCES-"Calendar" for 4/28/02
@ "CSPAN 2" Ray Bradbury, Los Angeles Festival Interview (afternoon hrs.) Purchase of tape available according to the program summary. Hope this helps!

Unfortunately, this Offical RB site missed a chance to give us a heads up on seeing it?! (again)

SEE: [URL=http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?month=4&day=28&year=2002]http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?month=4&day=28&year=2002[/UR L]

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-01-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a copy of the interview off of CSPAN after Laura kindly mentioned it...Thanks, Laura! I'm really looking forward to seeing it! The cost is $30.00...Pretty steep, but worth it, I think.

All best,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I see it's $30. Yes, steep to me, too, and I'm sure it's worth it but I've got other things I can spend the money on. Perhaps this site would post the interview or, at least, a transcript.
quote:
Originally posted by fjpalumbo:
Ray Bradbury Interview last week: I located in: OTHER RESOURCES-"Calendar" for 4/28/02
@ "CSPAN 2" Ray Bradbury, Los Angeles Festival Interview (afternoon hrs.) Purchase of tape available according to the program summary. Hope this helps!

Unfortunately, this Offical RB site missed a chance to give us a heads up on seeing it?! (again)

SEE: [URL=http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?month=4&day=28&year=2002]http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?month=4&day=28&year=2002[/UR L]

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury is coming to lecture at my school (Long Beach City College) on May 16th at 2 p.m. He will be selling and signing books as well. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for students. You can contact the LBCC Foundation at (562) 938-4094 for more information.

Posts: 1 | Location: Long Beach, CA USA | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info., ytima1.

I just returned from seeing Mr. Bradbury at Long Beach City College.

He gave an excellent lecture, and even signed my copy of "Dandelion Wine".

Check out this web site for another upcoming appearance:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bgsw/SWM/Bradbury.html