Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conversation With Ray--11/28/2004
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversation With Ray--11/28/2004
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Boy Frank, your comments brought to me a flood of memories going back to years beyond what one would want to admit. But when I was first a Probation Officer for Wapello County, Ottumwa, Iowa my office was on the third floor and they had an elevator operator.

Also my uncle worked in a dental lab in a six-story bulding, one of the tallest in Ottumwa, and it, too, had a elevator with an operator. Wow! Now that I remember it, the elevator operator made the news for killing his wife, but I digress.

Ray has also sent me letters with the letterhead that you describe. Now you have my curiosity up and I am going to have to review them as I never studied the illustration that closely.

Thank you Frank for stimulating my memories.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 12-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 12-02-2004).]

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay! I'm probably wrong on this, but...?!!

I seem to recall years back that the illustration on the letterhead was said to be a fanciful house that Ray dreamed-up where he would have liked to live in. I can't recall where I heard that, but I was living in LA at the time. Then I seem to recall it was an illustration by some artist. Probably only Ray could answer that one!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard and Biplane: I had thought before this discussion that this design was actually an illustrated theme based on some of the ideas Mr. B expresses in Yestermorrow. I believe there are a couple of essays in the book dealing with his views on the ideal community design. Again, it obviously would not have included malls and out of town shopping sprawls, but rather the traditional Downtown where everyone talked, commerced, and shared livelihoods.

That was my experience as a youth of 8-16yrs. I really could not get into "too much" trouble because EVERYONE knew my parents. Enough said!

"Dandelion Wine's" Green Town, and so many other RB's works dealing with small town life, struck cords that seemed more real than fiction or fantasy.

Bi-1, memories indeed!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-02-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FH 451:

took a bunch of great pictures, as soon as I can figure out, how to put them on this web site, I'll put some in..

Patrick,

to avoid the usual trauma of how to display pictures on the messageboard (they have to be hosted on a web server somewhere), you would be most welcome to email them to me, and I can then post them here - just as we did with the "Bradbury meets Darabont" pics.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick took up my offer, so I have posted the images under a new topic: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000295.html

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post