Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Subterranean MARTIAN CHRONICLES thread...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Subterranean MARTIAN CHRONICLES thread...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Providence smiled upon me, and opened up a post-office-visiting-opportunity. I am now in possession of a beautiful Complete Martian Chronicles. One of the heaviest books I own, and undoubtedly the most expensive. Looks good, though.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mailperson is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
(As a sort of PS, I'll add that if anyone is looking for a really nice version of The Martian Chronicles but missed out on this volume, which is now officially out of print, I would recommend looking for the edition of the book that was published in 1974 by Heritage Press. That's a great version, slightly oversized in a slipcase, with colour plates by Joseph Mugnaini, and with a great cover which can be seen below. Of course it's also long out of print, but there are a handful of used copies floating around out there on the secondary market, and it can be obtained for as little as $15.00-$35.00.)

Mine is on the way to jkt! He is good enough to house my storage bin for books until I can get back out west!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

I thought you'd like it. Smiler

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:

I thought you'd like it. Smiler

As a kid, we had a mailperson of the fairer gender. My grandfather refered to her as the femail!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If anyone missed out on the Complete Martian Chronicles, they might be interested in reading Marooned - Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror books on Mars. The blog owner, having spent his hard earned cash on a copy of this now out-of-print volume, is considering GIVING IT AWAY!

He may need his head examining, but he is running a poll to see what his readers think about the proposition of giving it away.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hill House's Martian Chronicles: Copies Have Arrived!

We have received copies of Ray Bradbury's THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. All copies are unopened and in their original packaging. Even though the book is sold-out, according to the publisher, we are selling our copies at the $300 cover price. However, we do have some special items you might want to take advantage of.

(1) We have several copies of the out-of-print hardcover chapbook “Why I Wrote This Book” (see photo to the left), which Hill House sent us prior to their going out of business. The book is signed by Bradbury and one of our copies was auctioned on eBay and sold for $150. We were told by Hill House that 100 copies would be made available, but we believe far fewer were printed. You can have this unique collectible for $75, but only as part of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES package.

(2) To appease customers who had pre-paid and patiently waited for Hill House to publish THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, the publisher made framed copies of full-color artwork by Edward Miller available to those who had purchased the book through Gauntlet (see photo below). As with “Why I Wrote This Book” while the limitation is 200 copies I believe far fewer were made and framed. What makes this unique is (a) the new publisher, Subterranean, did NOT use any of these prints in their edition so these are the only copies of the prints available. And (b) each print comes with a plate signed by both Ray Bradbury and artist Edward Miller. These could sell for several hundred dollars, but as part of the package we are offering you would pay $100.

So, here are your choices:

(1) Just the book, THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES for $300
(2) THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES and the signed chapbook for $375
(3) THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES and the signed prints for $400
(4) All 3 items (the book, chapbook and prints) for $475

We have only 5 copies of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES available (customers who committed to purchasing the book but because of financial or other reasons decided to pass on the book). So, priority will be given to those who want the entire package (#4). Otherwise it will be first-ordered, first-served.

We will have to send the material in two separate packages (which will add to the postage and insurance). The framed illos were sent to us in a sturdy box and will ship separately from the book and chapbook. And, due to the possibility of loss or damage these offers are good for our US customers only.

To make payment for The Martian Chronicles, please do the following: Use the link below to the Gauntlet Press website and order a copy of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (you will NOT be charged for this book). In the Comment’s section mention either “Martian Chronicles for $300", “Martian Chronicles+Chapbook for $375", or “Entire Package for $475". Postage and insurance will be added. You can pay by credit card, check or Paypal. If you use Paypal you must use the info@gauntletpress.com email address for payment. And, please send me an email letting me know you have paid via Paypal.

Ignore the first notice generated by our server. It will not have the correct information. I will send you a confirmation (as I always do) with the correct items and prices and will begin to ship immediately.

If you are interested in this title we urge you to place your order as quickly as possible. When we are sold out we will let those who order after there are no more.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:He may need his head examining, but he is running a poll to see what his readers think about the proposition of giving it away.

Why doesn't he have an essay-writing contest to determine the winner?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hill House's Martian Chronicles: Copies Have Arrived!...

Sorry for being dense, Doug, but where does this message come from? Gauntlet Press?

And when they say "Hill House's Martian Chronicles", the actual book is the one just published by Subterranean and PS, right? (Not some actual Hill House printings.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...Why doesn't he have an essay-writing contest to determine the winner?

I don't know, why doesn't he? You should make the suggestion on his blog.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
And when they say "Hill House's Martian Chronicles", the actual book is the one just published by Subterranean and PS, right? (Not some actual Hill House printings.)

That's what I want to know. Is there any other source for the complete version, now that Subterranean Press's is out of print? Or is this some other version without all the additional material?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only the two bonus items are Hill House items, the book is from Subterranean press.

Hill House was the original publisher for The Martian Chronicles. The publisher closed down and Subterranean Press picked the book up. The book actually has the original Hill House signature sheets in the book, as Bradbury did not sign another group of signature pages for this book.

Anyway, Hill House sent out a few things to people waiting for The Martian Chronicles, while they still were expecting to publish it. One was the signed and numbered chapbook: How I wrote my Story, which is an essay and another was the artwork print signed and numbered by Bradbury and Les Edwards, the artists. Both items are very nice, but Subterranean Press included the How I wrote my Story essay in the book, so if you buy the book you already get the essay that is the chapbook. The artwork is beautiful, and comes in a nice frame.

I would say these two items are for die-hards and not essential, but they are both beautiful items and worth owning if you had the money. I love mine.

Btw, yes that email was from Gauntlet Press.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gguthrie.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for being dense, Doug, but where does this message come from? Gauntlet Press?

Gauntlet Press E-Newsletter.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
So the book is the full edition with all the extra stories, and it is available at this price from this source?