Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Subterranean MARTIAN CHRONICLES thread...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Subterranean MARTIAN CHRONICLES thread...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Apparently only 15 or so copies left now....

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gguthrie:
I just received this book today. It's a pretty nice production, Sub Press did a good job with this. My only problem is they used standard black cloth for the slipcase and the spine of the book. Black is horrible; the book was smudged within seconds of pulling it out of the plastic wrapping and in 5 minutes it looked like I had the book for a couple of years.

Hmmm...that's too bad. Sounds similar to the cloth Sub used on the slipcase for the NECROSCOPE limited a couple of years back. That was covered in a black Kennett-type of cloth that is basically an un-coated fabric and it attracts dust and particles like nobody's business. It's a really lousy book covering in my humble opinion. I wish publishers wouldn't use it, period.

Guess I'll wait and see what it looks like when it gets here.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carcosa:
quote:
Originally posted by gguthrie:
I just received this book today. It's a pretty nice production, Sub Press did a good job with this. My only problem is they used standard black cloth for the slipcase and the spine of the book. Black is horrible; the book was smudged within seconds of pulling it out of the plastic wrapping and in 5 minutes it looked like I had the book for a couple of years.

Hmmm...that's too bad. Sounds similar to the cloth Sub used on the slipcase for the NECROSCOPE limited a couple of years back. That was covered in a black Kennett-type of cloth that is basically an un-coated fabric and it attracts dust and particles like nobody's business. It's a really lousy book covering in my humble opinion. I wish publishers wouldn't use it, period.

Guess I'll wait and see what it looks like when it gets here.
Well boys i`m still waiting for mine here in the UK,all my hardbacks and even my paperbacks have now been wrapped in plastic Punch pockets and fixed with clear tape ,this might sound a bit tatty but it does work it keeps the dust off and stops them from getting scuffed,this Bradbury book being larger might need something else,why not try it.When on the bookshelf you don`t notice it .

Posts: 26 | Location: Poole Dorset uk | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Green:

all my hardbacks and even my paperbacks have now been wrapped in plastic Punch pockets and fixed with clear tape

Hope you are using approved book repair tape and not just anything!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I got my copy today and it is an absolutely stunning book, but what happened to the dust jacket? Wasn't the picture on Subterranean's site supposed to be the dust jacket cover? The book looks great, but I guess I miss my dust jacket.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bsaenz24:
So, I got my copy today and it is an absolutely stunning book, but what happened to the dust jacket? Wasn't the picture on Subterranean's site supposed to be the dust jacket cover? The book looks great, but I guess I miss my dust jacket.

No...the question arose regarding on whether or not there would be a DJ but it was never announced there WOULD be one. I believe the picture posted is from the ARC....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bsaenz24:

The picture binding was posted in one of the many updates from the publisher. It is my understanding that this type of binding is very popular in Europe and since the book is being co-published by PS Publishing it is understandable.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

The picture binding was posted in one of the many updates from the publisher. It is my understanding that this type of binding is very popular in Europe and since the book is being co-published by PS Publishing it is understandable.

It's actually done in the style of the books like those from THE LIMITED EDITIONS CLUB, THE LAKESIDE PRESS and THE NONESUCH PRESS from the 1920's and onward. These printer/publishers created works of art in binding and printing design that have no peer today. Really beautiful volumes with beautifully crafted bindings of every type of material imaginable...typically accenting the internal design. I'd post some pictures but I don't think that can be done here.

Another jacket-less book from Subterranean is THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman. The pics I've seen look magnificent. I broke down and ordered a copy that I should have by the end of the week. I can't wait to see it in hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Carcosa,

posted Hide Post
Hey all,

We created that "dust jacket" image initially so we'd have a graphic to accompany THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES news when posting it to our site. Then we briefly toyed with the idea about jacketing the book, but just couldn't cover up the binding we spent so much $$ on.

I hope everyone enjoys their copy.

Best,

Bill
SubPress

Subterranean Press
www.subterraneanpress.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Subterranean Press:
Hey all,

We created that "dust jacket" image initially so we'd have a graphic to accompany THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES news when posting it to our site. Then we briefly toyed with the idea about jacketing the book, but just couldn't cover up the binding we spent so much $$ on.

I hope everyone enjoys their copy.

Best,

Bill
SubPress

For those of us waiting for the letter carrier to deliver our copy I am sure we will be delighted.

I've always found that a dust jacketed book in a slipcase can present a problem for those of us who are compuslive about putting a Brodart on our dustjackets which makes it a pain to put the books back into the slip cases. You have solved that problem. Thank you.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Bill

I wonder if you could post a high res image of the Dust Jacket.... I would love to print a copy..... its a nice piece of Art....

And am looking forward to my book arriving, all the way down here in New Zealand....!!!

Posts: 33 | Location: NZ | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robnz:
Hello Bill

I wonder if you could post a high res image of the Dust Jacket.... I would love to print a copy..... its a nice piece of Art....

And am looking forward to my book arriving, all the way down here in New Zealand....!!!

Hi that sounds like a great idea i would love to be able to print it off and frame it ,my book is on its way to the UK ,shipped yesterday .

Posts: 26 | Location: Poole Dorset uk | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book is now out of print....and they haven't even all shipped yet. That's pretty impressive for a $300 book.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Green:
...Stewart, how do you know it shipped? Did they email you to say so?...

Never mind, my question has been answered: I received an email notification of shipping. Hooray!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per the SubPress website, TMC is sold out.

Posts: 79 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post