Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    influences

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

influences
 Login/Join

posted
i saw a question asked in another thread about who influenced ray bradbury. i'm very interested in learning this and hearing as much as possible.

until i learn something about it, however, i thought that i would ask who everyone's biggest influences are and why.

i'll start. my favorite author, other than ray bradbury, is aldous huxley. While A Brave New World was what got me hooked, i think that what put him at the top of my list were his inovative ideas about what the mind really is. The Doors of Perception is one of my favorites by him. he also talks a lot about language, and is perhaps the root of my personal obsession with communication.

so there you have it. your turn.

Posts: 7 | Location: san francisco | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
vanamonde:

Well, 6th grade...Ray Bradbury was my greatest influence. But I was hooked on him in another way. I absolutely knew, that if I didn't get to know this man, Ray Bradbury, that I would die, go to hell and burn forever. There was absolutely NO question in my mind about this.

After a long while, and finally coming to know this man, Ray Bradbury, another thing happened, that has become now my 'greatest influence in my life'. I came to know Jesus Christ as my friend and my life. It took years and years, and a lot of soul searching and, as they say, 'letting a lot of junk go.' The relationship is not based on my efforts (tho there are many) but on a love that exists outside of my failures. Artists and musicians and, yes writers, and anyone with a spark of creativity, tries to explain it. But it always falls short. Ray Bradbury has that special 'spark', that 'gift', that ignites the face of Christ. BUT...Ray doesn't see it that way. And yet for myself, it was a bright enough light on my path to come all the way to the love of Christ......

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-20-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Ray is certainly my best and greatest life and attitude influence, and Nard, your attitude toward him is like unto my own. Second only to Jesus Christ as to people I would revere and want to meet and know.

As for "earliest and oftenest-read," that honor would go to E. Nesbit.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so.... how does ray see it?

Posts: 7 | Location: san francisco | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Influences as a writer I would have to say John Steinbeck, Charles Dickens, and Ray Bradbury. Early off there was Arthur Conan Doyle. Now I am most influenced by the devilish Roald Dahl.

Of the very few short stories I've read of Huxley I was not pleased. But, of course, you are speaking of his more "experimental" years which I have not seen.

Dandelion: I have never read anything by Edith Nesbit. I think it was in a Roald Dahl interview I first heard of her because he was touting her superb ghost stories. Do you know of a good collection of her short stories?

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This seems to be a pretty complete list of her works: http://therailwaychildren.carlton.com/edithnesbit/bibliography
Not a whole lot of short story collections seem to be available, but this bibliography lists some anthology appearances: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Edith_Nesbit.htm

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, so many literary influences over the years..... But very early inspiration certainly came from the two "Gone-Away Lake" books by Elizabeth Enright. For me they kindled an interest (or even obsession)with the past, most particularly with American Victorian architecture. (And all these years later... I've been working on renovations to the house for quite some time, with the intent of having the rooms looking as though they came directly from 1885 as much as possible! Some things from those books really stuck with me...)

Oh, Dandelion, I've decided to finally add more to my Nesbit collection--just ordered a 1907 copy of Treasure-Seekers (I specifically am looking for the older versions, so I can read the stories in their original forms without alterations!) Which Nesbit books would you recommend most highly, as being prime candidates for purchase?

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think John Collier should be read to understand how Ray got interested in the short story format. His "Fancies and Goodnights" is an excellent introduction to Collier's works. Ray also loves George B. Shaw.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the works of E. Nesbit which I like the best are also the most popular, but I'd say find out which are the most rare. And, if you get a copy of the 1901 novel "The Eyes of Light," by Arthur Moore, mentioned in "The Phoenix and the Carpet," TELL ME!

Ray once said Shaw was the author to whose work he returned most often.

posted Hide Post
Rereading "The Lake" last evening, I kept being drawn to the poetic style so powerful in most of Mr. Bradbury's writing. As I carefully read this melancholy tale (one based on a true RB childhood experience), I was hearing Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee" in the back of my mind. The words and the images are all there.

Read both and see if you agree.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to know what authors Mr. Bradbury was fond of in his formative years during the golden age of the pulps. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hugh Cave, a popular writer from that era, at his home in Florida. Now in his 93rd year, Mr. Cave still writes and publishes about a novel a year. He couldn't have been more gracious and has certainly led a fascinating life. Mr. Cave is my latest influence, primarily due to his longevity and hard-working attitude.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I was raised on a steady diet of fantasy and science fiction, here is my list:
Ray Bradbury (surprise!), Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Roger Zelazny, and William Gibson.

As far as fiction overall, it's very tough to beat Joyce Carol Oates.

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post