Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicles / Movies

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles / Movies
 Login/Join

posted
Helloo anyone and everyone !,
Can anyone help me?.
I rented the movie Martian Chronicles,
but it wasn't the one that I remeber seeing
in the past, it had different characters and
such.
The movie I rented didn't show the Sandships or the couple that owned the bar on Mars,
do you know which movie that I am speaking about ??, I am sorry that I am so vague with my descriptions. The movie that I rented was much older, less colorful in comparison to the movie that I saw on Television . I hope someone out there can help me.Thanx.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tucson,Arizona. U.S.A. | Registered: 14 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the movie says,
'The Martian Chronicles'...
...there is only ONE filmed Martian Chronicles. If the colors are not right, it must be a really really used tape or your television was / wasn't on the blink. The other thing is, maybe you didn't see 'The Marrtian Chronicles' originally.
Check this:
How many hours long is the version you have now? Since it ran three consecutive nights on TV, it's gotta be at least 5 hours long.... (By the way... who are the cast members in the one you now have?)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... that is curious. As Nard said, "The Martian Chronicles" was only filmed once, as a television miniseries. There are a couple of different versions of that available on tape, I think--the complete miniseries, and a shorter, re-edited version.

However, you may be aware that there was a televison series in the late 80's/early 90's called "Ray Bradbury Theater." It ran for more than 60 episodes, if I remember correctly, and several of the Mars stories were filmed for that series. Later, all the Mars episodes were gathered together and sold on one tape, which was called something like "Ray Bradbury Theater: The Martian Episodes."

So, there were some of Bradbury's Mars stories that were filmed twice, first for the miniseries, and later for the anthology series. Obviously the cast and scripts were different for each version. Maybe this is causing the confusion? If this is the case, though, I don't know which tape you recently rented. If you can give us more details (cast etc.), that would be helpful.

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
onexcella:

Check this out. This may be the other Martian Chronicles you were talking about...

click on, or type into finder: http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V++++80383,00.html

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, Nard, how do you come up with all the information that you post?! I was close on the title of this compilation tape, at any rate. I haven't seen this particular video myself, but if it runs 100 minutes it must have four episodes of the television show on it, and not three like the description states...

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury's Chronicles: The Martian Episodes (100 minutes)
1. Mars is Heaven 2. The Concrete Mixer
3. The Martian 4. And the Moon be Still as Bright 5. The Earthmen.

(Worldvision Home Video)

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to agree with octobercountry, I think Mr. Nard has way too much time on his hands! Just kidding, Nard. Your links are most helpful (I woudn't know where to start looking for this stuff) Thanks! Keep it up!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post