Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Upcoming Appearances by Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Appearances by Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
Big Grin

That's a mighty big smiley face!

It will be I assure you if this happened!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Premiere night of the new play, F451, went off nicely. I'll be honest and say that I've seen bits and pieces, at rehearsals, but have not sat thru the whole play, yet. I was busy helping do stuff in the lobby so did not see the play. I'll wait a few weeks and go on a Thursday night. However, one of the regular board contributors attended and I asked him to give a review. Hopefully, he will later today.

I spent a goodly part of the evening conversing with a big fan of Mr. B, George Clayton Johnson. Now that was worth the price of admission.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
p.s. I should mention that the play's author was in attendance. When he attends he always gives a brief talk before the curtain goes up. Also, there was a reception afterwards where attendees could have a moment with him and get their programs or books signed.

Among Ray's guests for the evening were George Clayton Johnson, of Ocean's 11, Logan's Run and half a dozen Twilight Zones fame. Erv Kirshner was also there, he directed that B-movie The Empire Strikes Back, original script written by a dear friend of Ray's, Leigh Brackett.

Lastly, long-time friends and publisher of some of Ray's books, Craig and Patty Graham of Vagabond Books were in attendance. They are the ones that published Futuria Fantasia, reprints of Mr. B's sci-fi newsletters from high school and a deluxe edition of Fahrenheit 451. Craig and Patty will be the ones hosting Ray's book signing at the Festival of Books.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have long ago decided, that I am going to see Mr. Bradbury speak in person. I am willing to cross the continent for this occasion (people travel farther for less).

The LA Festival of books, or the lecture in Pascenda would be wonderful to see. Alas, I have commitments during those dates, so it looks like Mars conference it is. I've figured out how to get from Los Angeles International to Riverside University. All there remains now is to buy the ticket.

So what's there to do in LA on a Sunday?

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:

Anything under the sun!

So what do you like to do?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:

Hire a car and drive north to Santa Cruz where you can breathe!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Hire a car and drive north to Santa Cruz where you can breathe!

Well!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! A couple days of famous LA smog won't kill me. Wink

Well, I like culture, both high and low. Big fan of museums actually. Book shops. Food, live muzak, films (there's probably more there than there is here!). . .and lectures! Who else is giving a lecture that weekend?

Maybe I'll go autograph hunting like Mr. B. used to. . .

posted Hide Post
Steve Dylag.

Cigarette smoking cancer in the US kills approximately .........4,000 people a week.
Auto crashes and related injuries................................950 weekly
Murdered just last year in the US..........................13,500 appx.
There were 24 million crimes commited in the United States in 2007
Nearly 2 million unborn children terminated in US
In the same year, about 1,000 volunteer/career soldiers killed in Iraq.

Deaths due to smog in Los Angeles in a two day period...about 20.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...but other than that, enjoy LA!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm not the one who brought up the smog issue! And on that cheerful note, it's time to buy the ticket. . .

posted Hide Post
It took two days for the cell phone image to get emailed to my home account but here is a photo from Saturday night at the Fremont Theatre Centre with Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. (Forgive me the low res. image from the cell phone. I really should buy a slim-line HD camera to carry with me at all times.)

Any way, from left to right is David Marchant (author of Monsterrific), Forrest J. Ackerman, Mr. B and his aide-de-camp Santiago.

John King Tarpinian

ImageDFRS.jpg (59 Kb, 8 downloads)

posted Hide Post
There is still time to get in a plane, train or automobile because the Fahrenheit 451 play has been extended until July 26th.

http://www.plays411.com/newsite/show/play_info.asp

As a general rule, and his busy schedule allowing, Ray tries to attend on Saturday nights. Mr. B will be attending tonight's sold-out performance.

p.s. I bought a new HD digital camera and plan to break it in tonight. If I can keep my thumb out of the way (sorry about that Doug) of the lens I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Good job!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Went to see "Fahrenheit 451" tonight in Pasadena, California, and, YES! The play veered far away from a sense of censorship, to book-banning because of how they affect people, often effects of psychological discomfort.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post