Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    High School Research Paper

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High School Research Paper
 Login/Join

posted
I'm hoping that Ray Bradbury will read this in hopes of assisting me in a research paper on his short story, "There Will Come Soft Rains." I was wondering what inspired him to write that story and what message he intended to send to the readers. If Mr. Bradbury reads this, please send an email to the above address. Thank you.

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, TX 77064 | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am definitely not Mr. Bradbury...sorry!
However, I just finished discussing this exact chapter with a SF class not 15 minutes ago!
The images are meant to bring to mind the effects of atomic war. Nothing remains behind in living form after such attacks (as witnessed at the conclusion of WWII). Mr. Bradbury is relating that through this story.

The house, programmed by man, continues on its mechanical way. Nature will prevail after decades, maybe centuries, of self-cleansing and repair. But where will mankind be?! This story may be better understood when read after "The Long Years" which precedes it in The Martian Chronicles.

Ironically the house ticks along even in its fiery demise. "Today is August 5, 2026....."

The poem from which this title is taken is by Sara Teasdale.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-06-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the poem pretty well sums up the theme of the story. Not everyone may be aware that in the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the nuclear flash was so bright, people were obliterated but their outlines were left in unburned spots on otherwise charred walls. You might try to get some photos of this for your report. The Three Ds did a most truly excellent musical version of this poem on their record "Folk Songs for a New Era." A friend of mine taped the song for Ray Bradbury and he just loved it. Unfortunately I don't believe any of the Three Ds' work is available on CD--just have to dust off those old vinyl LPs!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post