Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Captain Beatty's quote from the play about "finding nothing" in literature

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Beatty's quote from the play about "finding nothing" in literature
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

A long time ago, I read Bradbury's preface/introduction to one of the editions of Fahrenheit 451. In this introduction, Bradbury quoted from the stage adaptation of the book, which features a conversation between Montag and Beatty that helps to explain Beatty's motivations as a book-burner.

Beatty says something about turning to literature during his darkest hour and finding books to be barren of solace or consolation. In an essay I am writing, I would like to quote what Beatty says.

Does anyone have the edition to the book with Bradbury's introduction, or perhaps a copy of the stage adaptation's script? I would appreciate if someone could type up what Beatty says about "finding nothing"--all I need is that one line.

Thanks very much in advance!
--Anders

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A.B., this may help precisely!
I believe you are looking for the "Afterword" from 1973.

http://www.american-buddha.com/fahren-ray.4.htm
About 3/4 of the way through, see: "The pages were empty!"

The Coda which is found after this passage is also always a treat to read, in this wonderfully PC world of ours!

I hope this helps.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's exactly it!

How exciting to read it again. The best of Bradbury always gives me a physical thrill, a bodily sensation like speeding down the highway. (I'm as easy to please as Montag's wife, in that regard!)

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad to be able to help connect the "RB dots!"
f

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post