Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Lonely One - the true story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lonely One - the true story
 Login/Join

posted
On my website, I have today posted what I believe to be an exclusive story: an account of the true story of The Lonely One, the criminal who brought fear to Waukegan, Illinois, in the 1920s, and who was the inspiration for a shadowy character in Bradbury's Dandelion Wine.

I have the NAME of the Lonely One, plus a photo, plus an account of his crimes, arrest and sentencing, plus a little speculation on where he might be today...

Bradbury (and Sam Weller) say that the Lonely One was never caught. Not true! Read all about it here!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief, Phil! You are a bonafide detective you are!

Now about this defrocked Presbyterian minister fellow by the name of Mr. Electrico!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orvel is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great stuff from Phil. There are so many Bradbury characters that were based on real people, and it certainly brings the stories to life to read about them. Great piece of research!

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
...Now about this defrocked Presbyterian minister fellow by the name of Mr. Electrico!

I've thought about tracking down Mr Electrico, but Sam Weller did a really good job with that one, and I don't think there are any stones left unturned.

[Then again, there is one angle Sam seems to have overlooked, which is to do with the timing of events. I'm currently writing an account of the murder of Bradbury's Uncle Lester (based on contemporary newspaper reports and the coroner's report), which is an event linked (in Bradbury's recollections) to the arrival of Mr Electrico. I hope to clarify some of the details of the story, and supplement what Sam has already published.]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Orvel is a good word.

...but suggests that his parents didn't know how to spell Orville.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...but suggests that his parents didn't know how to spell Orville.

Or that they were fans of Thoreau.

Simplify, simplify!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post