Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    hi i have a questions

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hi i have a questions
 Login/Join

posted
hello all im new here .. my name is sandy... and for starters does any one know what the story "the lake " is about...
a little about my self i just got out of collage and i work at a surf shop and help run ski and snowboard trips for teen highschool groups.. i got into Ray when I picked up the book Fahernheit 451 on top of a locker at my high-school ... ever sence then i have read hundreds of stories and read a bunch of books and even got a bruning book tatoo that says never let them burn.... kind of stupid but hey i was in collage .. .. thank you and hope to get to know all better...

sandy...

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy,
Where are you from?
"The Lake" is based on a true story that happened to Mr. Bradbury.

"When I was around eight I was down at Lake Michigan. I was playing with a little girl making sand castles, and she went into the water and never came out. When you're eight years old and that happens, what a mystery that is! Well, she never did come out-they never found her. So that mystery stayed with me, an encounter with death."
-Ray Bradbury

He also says that it was his first good story after trying for ten years, crying when he finished it. He wrote it in 1942.

[This message has been edited by From Greentown Illinois (edited 04-01-2004).]

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I NEVER heard THAT before in my LIFE! What I heard was it was inspired by the near-drowning of a cousin of his, but not whether Ray was actually present or just heard about it from others.

A similar childhood incident happened to Stephen King. When he was four years old, his mother, who was raising him alone, always let him play with this other little boy. I guess she picked him up there, but one day found Steve home with no explanation. She was very upset that he'd been allowed such a long and potentially dangerous walk by himself and tried to call the other boy's mother, but no answer. Later they found Steve's friend had been struck by a train, and was so mangled they had to pick up the pieces in a peach basket. Steve has no recollection of what happened, so they don't know if he was present and witnessed the accident, arrived after it happened and left unnoticed, or whether he pushed the other kid under the train! In any case, like Ray, he was marked for life!

There was a man who was one of the last passengers on the "Hindenburg" to survive. All the survivors jumped--by the time that thing hit the ground anyone left was toast. This man broke a leg in the fall, but had a signal of whistles to alert his servant man. The servant was luckily unhurt, and managed to pull the injured man away from the burning wreckage. The man said the incident had no effect on his life whatsoever--his life went on after as it had before--with no dramatic change. This is the difference between when something happens to a creative, reflective person and an oblivious idiot.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
It's straight from the mouth of Mr. Bradbury on the interview CD with him that was made for the Gauntlet Edition of "Dark Carnival" AND it is included as his forward to the story in said book.
Why do I always have to defend these Dark Carnival quotes?
Greentown

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a reference to this in bio "American Icon" also. Something may also be stated on the cd that accompanied the Dark Carnival, Gauntlet copy as well (or some other tape with a bit of RB interview). I have heard/read this in a couple of different sources.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 04-02-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll admit to not having read the full "Dark Carnival" book or listened to the CD. Wanted to wait till I could give them my full attention--and when does anything ever get my full attention?--but I had honestly never heard before that it was an actual drowning, whether the victim was a relative or not. I'd heard only "near-drowning of a cousin" and don't remember whether it was in more than one source.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody wow thats amazing.... i happy i know now what it is about...
I am form Fairfax VA, USA....
many thanks

[This message has been edited by whateverfloatsyourboat (edited 04-03-2004).]

sandy...

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to have a special edition of Dark Carnival. An almost exact quote appears in the foreword to a Del Rey paperback edition of The October Country.

By the way, there's a brand new spanish translation of One More for the Road. The title is Algo m�s en el equipaje.
An image of the cover is at: http://www.altocity.com/images/prod/10/10055/9505470711_xl.jpg (Note the big watermark A is not part of it)

The back cover reads (my translation):
"Only Bradbury can make us... Savour the sweet innocence of youth, the wisdom -and madness- of maturity; taste a summer's warm mysteries, and the bitterness of betrayed love or abandoned places; travel to a house where time has no frontiers, and to a far-away planet afflicted by an epidemic of sadness; feel the addictive terror caused by a mysterious expected phone call; watch the wandering souls of loved ones... Only Ray Bradbury can offer us literary experiences as varied and as suggesting as these. This all new collection lets us enjoy once more some of the best stories from the undisputed master of 20th century short fiction."

I guess no more needs to be said.
diego

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited 04-03-2004).]

Posts: 13 | Location: buenos aires, argentina | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post