Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Writing to Mr. Bradbury?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing to Mr. Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Since this topic comes up so often, I am bumping it up on the list for all those who are interested.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In response to the latest request, this thread is being moved up once again.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another request bumping this up.

posted Hide Post
It's just been brought to my attention that the Star Archive is no longer free, and here is the explanation as to why: http://www.stararchive.com/starc2000/page.php?p=no-longer-free
When you do the math, the figures are alarming. Before the internet, only a few print sources listed celebrity addresses, and by the time those even reached print the addresses were often outdated or inaccurate. Then the internet began to offer a large selection of addresses, some of which were actually fairly current and correct. Check out the number of people attempting to contact celebrities between 1999 and 2000 as evidenced by the hits on the Star Archive, and you can estimate how everyone's mail volume must have shot up! Multiply that by increased security since psycho fans and terror attacks and there's a question as to whether any of what arrives is actually opened, let alone answered!
Additional caveats for anyone wishing to contact Ray Bradbury: he is 83 years old, recovering from a stroke, blind in one eye and near blind in the other, with limited use of his right hand. According to close sources, he no longer even uses an electric typewriter, but actually dictates writing over the phone! He says his daughter visits every eight weeks to help with correspondence but "it doesn't help." So if you do write him, don't harbor too much expectation or hope of an answer. If you still want to try, another good celebrity address forum can be found here. http://celebrity.virtualave.net/ I don't vouch for its absolute accuracy, but it's a nice-looking site, it is free, and Ray's address is listed, correct except that the last two numbers in the Zip Code are transposed.

posted Hide Post
hmmm

it seems like there are enough people here to try to send him something slightly bigger... we could even start mailing a single letter around, writing a few comments, sending to the next person on the list....

and then when we've all signed it we could mail it to him....

just a sudgestion. it just seems like this way it would be really special: fans from all over the country uniting and such.... what do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by vanamonde (edited 10-27-2003).]

Posts: 7 | Location: san francisco | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds good!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only problem is it would involve each fan revealing their own mailing address to at least one other fan, so they'd know the addresses of who had it last and who it was going to next, if that matters.

posted Hide Post
If you can't trust a Bradbury fan, who can you trust?

Posts: 2 | Location: Geneva, IL | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about putting together something on a web page (like the old "Guest Books"), where we each could post our comments and send Ray the resulting print out? It could even be a living document, as more and more people added to its legacy.....

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you plan to include major graphics or something, you could just start such a thread under the "Ray's Legacy" header here.

posted Hide Post
While this topic has strayed a bit, I wanted to say that I recently wrote to Ray, included a SASE & got a very quick reply. Ray sent me a a short thanks & drew a nice cartoon cat.

With minimal effort I now have a very valuable & important keepsake from one of the greatest authors ever!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked, Andrew! I had no doubt that it would!

posted Hide Post
Anyone thinking of writing him, please keep in mind that what's been difficult recently in this very trying time may well be impossible. DO send him your love, sympathy, and prayers in whatever form!

posted Hide Post
I second dandelion's reply. When I visited Ray in 1996 he and Marguerite had just returned from a month in France. He had just returned two days before I stopped by and he said that he had, if I remember correctly, over 900 letters waiting for him. Since 1966 I have had his address in Los Angeles (he's lived in the same house all those years) but I don't believe it would appropriate to list it here, particularly, as dandelion brings out, his health is not what it used to be.

Over the years he has always responded to my letters and several years ago I started sending postage afixed return envelopes to make it easier for Ray. That is still a good idea although Ray can afford to pay his postage bill, but as a courtesy and show of respect for him, I think sending postage is only appropriate.

With few exceptions he has answered all of his mail over the years.

He definitely is an illustrator and I have many letters, envelopes and books illustrated by The Man.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 07-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 07-15-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

No disrespect intended towards biplane, but I think he has given too much detail on where Mr B lives. Could his message be edited please?

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post