Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Fireman

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fireman
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know where I can find the original short story which spawned Fahrenheit 451. I'd like to read it just for curiousity's sake, F-451 being my favorite novel. Thank You

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Fireman" was first published in GALAXY, a science fiction magazine, in its February, 1951 issue. It was later reprinted in a paperback anthology called SCIENCE FICTION ORIGINS (Popular Library, 1980), edited by William F. Nolan and Martin Greenberg. You may be able to find a copy of either or both on the Advanced Book Exchange:
http://www.abebooks.com

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard. That's definately limited circulation if those are the only printings. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me but, I guess that's what the thrill of the hunt is all about. I wonder If RB purposely kept "The Fireman" from being included in other anthologies and if so why. I've seen Asimov's original short story "Foundation" in several anthologies and a few other short stories by other authors that later became famous novels, so why not this one. Any theories out there???

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if you were able to find that copy of "The Fireman" that you were looking for. I am also looking for a copy (I'm doing a science fiction unit with my high school English class and wish to includ this story). Please let me know if you have any luck at a particular website or store. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Raleigh, NC USA | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greeting y'all:

"The Fireman," the 25,000-word precursor to "Fahrenheit 451" can be found in the 1980 book, "Science Fiction Origins," which , if memory serves correct, was edited by Ray's longtime friend, William F. Nolan. And an interesting sidenote -- in one of the early drafts of the new book, "Bradbury Stories," "The Fireman" was listed in the table of contents. Originally, it was supposed to be in the new book. I asked Ray about this and he said that he assumed that Ballantine, who owns "F 451," was prickly with letting the story go in the new book as they were not publishing it.

[This message has been edited by Sam Weller (edited 01-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Sam Weller (edited 01-05-2004).]

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post