Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Guy Montag Pronunciation?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guy Montag Pronunciation?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Used ta get a pint fer one and six in the '60s.

Can you imagine a song like "Has Anybody Seen My Gal" if the metric system was extant then?

"On hundred fifty-seven point four eight centimeters, eyes of blue..." doesn't roll trippingly off the tongue, does it?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or 'Mammy'?

"I'd walk 1,609,300 kilometres for one of your smiles ..."

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The metric system is dumb.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"You say meter; we say metre", which reminds me BII, how are the tuh-may-dohs doing? I'll show you mine later.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The metric system is dumb.

I disagree - I think it's very smart. How can anyone possibly remember that there are 16 ounces to a pound, but 14 pounds to a stone? (Me, apparently. But it was a rhetorical question.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:I thought the whole of North America pronounced him "Brad-berry". Whereas most Brits call him "BRAD-bri"

No, I've read his work for 33 years and corresponded with him for 28 and I still don't consistently say it right.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
How can anyone possibly remember that there are 16 ounces to a pound...

Conditioning. And we don't want to be reconditioned to learn another way.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
No, I've read his work for 33 years and corresponded with him for 28 and I still don't consistently say it right.

I've hung around him for three years now, and have heard others refer to him and he himself speak his name, and it's always pronounced Brad-bury, as I had always thought it was.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
"You say meter; we say metre", which reminds me BII, how are the tuh-may-dohs doing? I'll show you mine later.

TB, I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

I'll see if I can get ahold of one of those new-fangled digital cameras...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

TB, I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Psst! Meet me behind the bicycle shed on MogtheDog's thread.

-Tink

posted Hide Post
This sounds a bit naughty!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dirty dirty kiddies!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Shame on the pair of you! My tomato plant really is behind the bicycle shed.

Imagetn_Waiting_on_a_tomato.jpg (32 Kb, 11 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog's more British cousin perched in a tomato tree!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Cut the wisecracks or the puppy gets it!