Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RB Inteviews or Booksignings?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'd like to be a part of the reading of Dandelion Wine. Did I miss something? I can't say I recall that being discussed. Is July the final word?

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind my previous post. I just found my answer in another thread. Now I just feel silly......

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete,
I love the idea of October as "Something Wicked..." Month!
If there is any additional interest in that, too, say the word and I'll be there with bells on... not that you'll actually hear them, or anything...

from the plant of Euphemismia,
home of the Self-Deprecating Eye-Rollers,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow

I would..." venture to guess"...that these are NOT the most recent photos... especially the last, color picture. I have a photo of Ray that looks very similiar, with the 'exact' tie and shirt on, and looks like same suit coat, and was 3-4 years ago...so ???

(Can't say you can't wear the same stuff every few years....)

However, I found on the web a picture that looks like it was taken in the last month or two....(believe it or not..looks like the SAME tie..)
There are two pictures, one taken in the mid-1980's and the second, very recent. Click on the picture, and it'll change to another page perhaps, but click on it again, and it'll finally give you a larger picture for viewing.At least it worked that way on my computer:
{click on, or type into finder}:http://www.imdb.com/PGallery?Bradbury,%20Ray

Have to read the article. Looks interesting from a glance... Thanks, GS....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-02-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
You're such a good devil's advocate that I hate to disappoint you, but the photos of Ray Bradbury in the posted interview are very, very recent.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow::

Hmm!!?!
Did you say..."very very"...or..".very very very"...or just plain ..."very"?

Every very vary very .....

Okay, how about the picture link I posted. What do you think? Very?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The A & E Biography series is fascinating no matter what the subject. The two-hour episode on Hugh Hefner included a comment from Ray in which he explained how most people don't realize or remember how PLAYBOY published almost every well-known living writer of its time, because, as Ray quipped, "they can't see the forest for the t's." The interview must have been filmed in 1999 or earlier, as it also included comments from Mel Torme, who died that year. As far as I know , this series has never devoted an episode to Ray.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

Yeah! Watched a portion of the "Biography" broadcast, which included the one with Ray in it....
This is one of those explosive topics with me, since I knew Hefner briefly, while I was still in high school. Being 'my misguided'...idea of a publishing idol, I wound up meeting him during the trials Chicago had against him in the early 1960's, for obscenity. The trials lasted quite a while, and I managed to get to meet all his lawyers, lots of his staff, and Hefner. In fact, I watched that portion of Biography...wondering if they would have any mention, or film, of that particular event. But, they passed over it....

posted Hide Post
Ha, sounds as if so many groups were after Hefner so many times there wouldn't have been time to mention all of them. I was surprised at how his age (six years younger than Ray), background (strict midwestern upbringing), and interests (comics, acting, especially comedic, outer space, movies, monsters) so parallelled Ray's though their outlooks are in many ways so different. (Apropos of not much, I was also surprised at the photograph of "Hef" and friends, aged about ten, wearing zippered jackets. Didn't know zippers were a widely available clothing item in the 1930s.) My neighbor saw the same show and told me, "I saw your friend on TV," meaning Ray, of course.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
Actually, the City of Chicago sued Hefner, and it was front page, and then headlines in the Chicago papers. I must have been a really crazy kid, because I went to many of the court room hearings and, finally, sat outside City Hall, 1 o'clock in the morning, while Hefner slept in his limo outside the door to City Hall the fateful night of the verdict. When the verdict finally came in, about 1:30 or 2 in the morning, I rode up with Hefner in the elevator...just the two of us. Can you believe it.!! For real! And remember him saying how this would all be laughed at in 20 years....
Watching 'Biography', and the closing comments of his outlook on himself and life, gave me something akin to a chill. I'll have to listen to it again....

posted Hide Post
any touring on the east coast?

if somebody gives you <br />ruled paper, write the <br />other way

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Ray, Hefner suffered a stroke, but much less severe. He was mostly recovered in three weeks while Ray is still striving to cope after three years. The east coast question, I presume, refers to Ray. He used to go to New York, I think as often as every fall, and on some of these occasions he did TV and radio appearances and so on. As has been said elsewhere, I really doubt he travels out of state now.