Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help!
 Login/Join

posted
I've been an avid Ray Bradbury fan since late childhood (am 38 now) and have read nearly everything he's ever written. While my reaction to his work was certainly not unique, I remember thinking, "I want to write like that." And I've been trying ever since.

I recently read "There Shall Come Soft Rains"
to my four homeschooled boys (ages 13, 11, 8 and 5). I didn't expect the younger two to be at all interested, but they were completely transfixed, not so much as a wiggle throughout the entire reading. When I finished, there was an awed moment of silence. Then came the questions and a discussion about war and the dismal state of the world. Ray's work is timeless and I am grateful to him.

I am frantically trying to recall the title to one of his short stories and am getting nowhere fast. The story is about a young boy who develops a crush on his teacher. They become friends . . . he has to move away . . . he comes back to town years later with a wife who looks just like her. It was beautifully told and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember it.

What is the title to this story please? And which collection was it from?

Posts: 2 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Story of Love" from "Long After Midnight." Alternate title "These Things Happen."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heh, yeah, these things DO happen...... *wink wink nudge nudge*

sorry about that but i felt the need to do it. anyway, i think its great that your reading RB to your kids. ONE OF THEM IS FIVE?!??! he's gonna grow up to be the RB fan to rule them all! i wish my parents did that with me!

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ettil, our sons are 5 and 8 and RB fans already. Dinosoaur Tales, Dandelion Wine, Ice Cream Suit movie, they know about F451 and many more. Some of his s.s. are tremendously kid friendly. I have even read the likes of The Drummer Boy of Shiloh, since they both enjoy early AM. History. They really get it, too. Turn on the Night is a neat young person's book, great illustrations.

The younger the better. His writing stirs the imagination in all ages and keeps them young forever! Enjoy.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your response!

Posts: 2 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post