Ray Bradbury Forums
A rather odd question, I know...

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/5621061011

10 February 2005, 12:43 PM
jrichman
A rather odd question, I know...
...but bear with me. I've seen many references to how Ray usually works at a typewriter in the basement of his Los Angeles home; is that still the case today, with his limited mobility, or does he work elsewhere in the house?
10 February 2005, 05:54 PM
Nard Kordell
jrichman: His recent novel, ''Let's All Kill Constance'', was entirely dictated...to his daughter.

Earlie,r he was using a 'manual' typewriter for therapy.
11 February 2005, 02:04 PM
biplane1
I just spoke with Ray about a half hour ago and he said that he was working on a novel that he had started some 50 years ago, so I would imagine that this typewriter has been brought up to a working area on the main floor.

It was only in his kitchen and his living/sitting room that I have been in. (Is that an awkward sentence or what?) So I am not sure what other rooms on the main floor that may qualify as a legitimate working area.

In the video "Ray Bradbury-An American Icon" Ray is seen sitting down at a typewriter in what is off of his kitchen at his Palm Beach home and towards the outside as you can see the pool in the background (if my memory serves me right) because he goes there to get a Coors and a piece of cheese.
11 February 2005, 03:23 PM
robot dog
I'm not sure if someone said it here, or I just know it from elsewhere, but I believe he writes his books these days by dictating them to his daughter Alexandria over the phone. She types them up, and comes to see him (from Arizona?) with the drafts, and they go over them. I do not speak from first-hand knowledge, again, but I have heard that.
The only time I ever visited the house, Sam Weller showed me the basement/office with the desk and the typewriter and the amazing ambiance and the files of works-in-progress. Wow.
11 February 2005, 08:07 PM
Nard Kordell
robot dog:

I've called 'whatshername' in New York, at Harper Collins several times about the slow 'Resource' (especially) section...and it's usually up and running like normal again the following day...but then it just drags back down after a few days. I just got tired of calling her...but..now I'm getting aggravated that no one else is fixing the darn thing. So...I shall call her again on Monday. I don't know what is causing it, more memory, etc etc. or just viruses that slow the thing down, but I'll let her know that she has to have something done because the problem doesn't go away. It's nice to just click on 'Resources' and get it immediately without having to wait forever...

16 February 2005, 04:01 PM
dandelion
Nard, don't tell me you actually got through to 'whatshername'! Resources is working so fast today I was actually frightened! Did you mention the other issues I raised?
16 February 2005, 04:05 PM
dandelion
As for the question (the question! Instead of just bemoaning technical issues! Now THERE'S a concept!) I spoke to Ray's wife only once, about a month or less before she died. She specifically told me that Ray could not negotiate the basement stairs. She implied, but did not specifically say, that he doesn't like people going down there without him, SO--those of you who HAVE been in his basement are very, VERY lucky!