Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    uncollected vs. collected

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

uncollected vs. collected
 Login/Join

posted
A number of previously uncollected stories have been published recently by Gauntlet Press. For those of you who keep lists of these "uncollected" stories, how do you treat the stories that are published as a Chapbook? News of the Futuria Fantasia book is amazing, as these were stories that I feared I would never have a chance to see. Are we to continue editing our lists of uncollected stories as Gauntlet and other publishing companies add these lost gems to new publications?

Lastly, are there any lists of the uncollected Bradbury available online anywhere? I know a few of you kept these lists. I keep my list, but I fear it is a bit out of date.

http://monolithlabs.com/files/files/bradbury_uncollected.htm

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you make files like that? I'd love to be able to catalog my entire library with something similar to that. I'd like to do that with all the short stories from every collection and anthology on my shelves and then rate each one I've read and add a short summary. Possible?

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try MS Excel - that is precisely what it is for, puting together lists and then correlating and making graphs of the correlations. Very powerful stuff, and not that hard to learn. MS Access also would do the job.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains - this page was created with Microsoft Excell and saved as an .htm file. A spreadsheet program like Excel is great for creating/organizing quick lists.

If you want something more robust, you can spend some time learning about relational databases (Microsoft Access, SQL, MySQL, Oracle...). I am working on a large SQL database of my various collections.

grassstains, here is a very very old spreadsheet that shows something similar to what you are trying to do.

http://monolithlabs.com/files/files/ss/sss.htm

It includes fields for the Author, Read/Not Read, Title of Story, and a code for the book/digest that the story is found. Of course this is a simple example of what can be done.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That all seems kinda complicated. I don't know much about computers. In 2001 or 2002 I was in my late 30s and sat down at a computer for the very first time. I typed www.raybradbury.com in the address bar, not knowing what else to do and thinking that's just the way the internet worked, and I've been here ever since and haven't really picked up any computer skills along the way.

Are any of those spreadsheets available for free download? That last one http://monolithlabs.com/files/files/ss/sss.htm looks perfect for me.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
That all seems kinda complicated. I don't know much about computers. In 2001 or 2002 I was in my late 30s and sat down at a computer for the very first time. I typed www.raybradbury.com in the address bar, not knowing what else to do and thinking that's just the way the internet worked, and I've been here ever since and haven't really picked up any computer skills along the way.

Are any of those spreadsheets available for free download? That last one http://monolithlabs.com/files/files/ss/sss.htm looks perfect for me.

I use The Library Thing which is an online database where the first two-hundred catalogued books are free. The nice thing with this program is that if you type in the ISBN it will search either Amazon or the Library of Congress then fill in the particulars.
http://www.librarything.com/

A nice free program is BookDB2, available at
www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BookDB2-Download-20898.html

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
... are there any lists of the uncollected Bradbury available online anywhere?...

Well, there's always the Short Story Finder on my website (see link below). I confess I haven't updated it for a while, but it should give you a pretty good way of cross-checking your own records.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This list https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/37910839...011063372#2011063372 is complete, but not updated as to the last two or three story collections, let alone any special publications.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks jkt. That library thing looks really cool. I think I'll check out the other one too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
A number of previously uncollected stories have been published recently by Gauntlet Press. For those of you who keep lists of these "uncollected" stories, how do you treat the stories that are published as a Chapbook? News of the Futuria Fantasia book is amazing, as these were stories that I feared I would never have a chance to see. Are we to continue editing our lists of uncollected stories as Gauntlet and other publishing companies add these lost gems to new publications?

Lastly, are there any lists of the uncollected Bradbury available online anywhere? I know a few of you kept these lists. I keep my list, but I fear it is a bit out of date.

http://monolithlabs.com/files/files/bradbury_uncollected.htm

Thanks everyone!

Two stories from your list are now collected in Match To Flame; The Fireman and The Bonfire. Futuria Fantasia gives us these five; Don't Get Technatal, The Pendulum, The Piper, The Record, and The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa.

djmonolith, Are you aware of any stories from recent chapbooks that appear on your list?

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:

Two stories from your list are now collected in Match To Flame; The Fireman and The Bonfire. Futuria Fantasia gives us these five; Don't Get Technatal, The Pendulum, The Piper, The Record, and The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa.

djmonolith, Are you aware of any stories from recent chapbooks that appear on your list?

Yes, thank you. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Futuria Fantasia! Gauntlet published a limited edition chapbook "Time Intervening" with Dark Carnival. The Halloween Tree release saw the publication of the chapbook "Fragments!" - which includes a number of story fragments and short shorts. According to the Gauntlet site, with the release of It Came from Outerspace, they also released a chapbook titled "Is That You Herb?" - which I do not have. This is a previously unbublished story (and one that I had no previous knowledge of).

I continue to be very impressed with Gauntlet - and look forward to future releases!

posted Hide Post
Also, in addition to those you listed, there is one more chapbook, "The Dragon Who Ate His Tail."

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post