Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help on a report!!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help on a report!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Okay so I choose Ray Bradbury for a report! Mistake??? Maybe... I have to Tell how his life is related to one of his works! The problem is he has 500 and I need to find one that relates to his life in more than one way!!! How can I do that??? Any ideas of how any of his works relate to his life?? If so tell me!!!!
Luv ya,

Stander byer

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lifegoesonward,
almost certainly not a mistake. or, maybe, as little of a mistake as you are able to make it:
I'd suggest starting with Dandelion Wine. It's loosely autobiographical. Newer editions have an introduction, "just this side of byzantium", that explains a lot of this and would be a valuable resource. If you need to go beyond that, I'd look into how RB's stated views on many things- censorship, the space program, to name a couple, fit into his work.

Good luck,
Dan

[This message has been edited by DanB (edited 05-04-2003).]

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lifegosonward
Believe it or not, if you have a couple hours and patience, the question has been asked and answered in previous posts scattered thruout this site... I even remember reading something last month or two at most. Imagine this site as a giant strange encylopedia with most all the answers, and you just have to find them by a bunch of 'confoluted' headings....(I think that's a word)...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lifegosonward, you have picked the coolest topic I can imagine for a term paper. If only I had been able to make a choice like that when I was in high school over thirty years ago. Just like DanB says, pick up a recent printing (hardcover or paperback) of DANDELION WINE, which is a fictionalized version of Ray's childhood in Waukegan, Illinois. The introduction mentioned by DanB will give you a running start on understanding the relationship of the novel to Ray's life. If you've never read the book before, I envy you its discovery for the first time.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing it would be neat if such a book as "An Illustrated Life" or the forthcoming biography could include is documentation of real-life things which relate to or served to inspire Bradbury. For instance:
A photograph of Mr. Electrico or advertisement of his act
Newspaper articles describing the crimes of the Lonely One
A photograph of the roller coaster which inspired "The Fog Horn"
Maybe someone could even find the fashion-magazine layout which inspired "Sun and Shadow."
I think an "Annotated Bradbury" including such touches would be way cool.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!!! You all saved me! I am off to write this report on an amzing guy!

Stander byer

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post