Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ageism
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ageism
 Login/Join

posted
Is it just me, or does Ray Bradbury seem to be the victim of ageism? It seems truly incredible, that with all Mr. Bradbury has accomplished, and how he seems to be speeding up at 82 rather than slowing down, that we never see his name mentioned in the mainstream press. When better to celebrate a "Legend" than when he's still alive. Seems a shame is all. Anyone else notice this?

Posts: 12 | Location: Carlyle, IL USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great point.

I wonder if there is a writer alive who has so significantly touched so many lives. There are people who sell a lot of books, but do they change lives?!?

Part of the problem is that he gets branded as a sci-fi writer.

His books sell, he lectures, he has fans who love him, his books and stories are required reading in schools; but you're right that outside his sphere of direct influence he does seem to be neglected.

You're also right that it's a tragedy.

Maybe each of us should give someone a Ray Bradbury book this Christmas and start a word-of-mouth revolution for him.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-12-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea, giving someone (or two or three) a Bradbury book for Christmas. When I think of how I discovered Bradbury's writings, it makes me wonder how many other people have missed out on his talent because they don't read "science fiction." I've never considered myself much of a fan of science fiction, but one day a few months ago for some reason I got a hankering to read a "science fiction" book. So I went to the public library, completely at a loss as to what to check out. But I noticed a display of books labeled "Staff Favorites" and there on the shelf was "Martian Chronicles" with a library sticker designating it as a science fiction book. Thinking it looked interesting and recognizing the name Ray Bradbury, I took the book home, read it and was hooked! And of course afterward I said to myself, "Well, this isn't at all what I thought science fiction was all about. I wonder what else this fellow has written?" Then I found "Dandelion Wine" and was enthralled. But I was also baffled. How in the world did Bradbury ever get locked into the genre of "science fiction"? It's so limiting a label. His writing is beyond the confines of that quirky little term. I don't see much scientific about "Dandelion Wine" or "The Dwarf" or "The Jar." He writes about people. He writes about us. He writes about me. When I've had a particularly chaotic day, I pick up one of his anthologies and read a story, and it's better than a backrub to work out the kinks in me. Bradbury's writing brings to mind a line from the movie "Shadowlands" in which one of C.S. Lewis's students recalls something his father used to say: "We read to know we are not alone." Ray's writing always gets me that way--reminds me that I am not alone. I'm going to buy all my friends one of his books and attach a sticky note with the address to this message board on it. Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Dark.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved your description of Bradbury writing about people. When you combine that with his excellent story-telling, very real characters, amazing imagination, and intermingled philosophy and religion, and startlingly simple/poetic use of language, he sits significantly outside the realm of Sci Fi (not that there's anything wrong with Sci Fi -- try Heinlein or Clark or Sturgeon, or Silverberg, etc.).

You've inspired me. Since I suggested it in theory, I'll have to do it in practice, also. I'll also figure out a couple people to give Bradbury books to this Christmas.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Challenge: I think Ray Bradbury should be featured on some major network program like CBS's Sunday Morning (one of my favourites). In the recent past, I've written them about this but got no response. What if ALL of us were to write heartfelt e-mails to CBS?

Here is the link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/09/sunday/main13556.shtml

P.S. Buying and giving more of his books is a great idea, but I would love to see a wonderful feature piece on CBS, NBC, or ABC as well.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. I think I'll be doing both.

posted Hide Post
Good idea, Green Shadow and I think a viable one. Believe it or not, August before last I wrote in to the Charlie Rose Show (great PBS interview show) explaining about Ray�s then upcoming �From The Dust Returned� and how it�s release would coincide with Halloween. Further suggesting how appropriate it might be to interview Mr. October at such an opportune time. I also told him how about the numerous other projects the man is still working at age 80, etc, etc...They wrote back thanked me for the suggestion. And a few weeks later when I went back to their internet site to look at the upcoming schedule Ray�s name was listed as an October guest! Well, then September 11th happened and that was the end of any guest not in the field of politics on the Charlie Rose Show for a few months.

Of course this could have been mere coincidence on my part as Ray�s agent could have had the same idea as me and booked the show...who knows. Nonetheless, it is well worth the effort to try as Green Shadow suggests.

Posts: 12 | Location: Carlyle, IL USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie Rose's show would be an excellent venue to try again for such am interview. He does a tremendous job interviewing everyone. He comes across as a well-informed, gentleman who understands the art of questioning and listening!

A full hour with RB would be a gem! He is well-deserving of any accolades he might receive, a true American treasure, and an inspiration to countless students, teachers, writers, producers, and readers young and old!

Do you think an appropriate Christmas gift from this site's followers might be a letter, call, or e-mail in recognition of Mr. Bradbury's illustrated life!?

If so, here you are!!
http://www.charlierose.com/feedback.shtm

PH: (212) 940-1600

Mailing Address
CHARLIE ROSE
Rose Communications
499 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-13-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent an e-mail to CBS and one to The Charlie Rose Show. It's in your court.

posted Hide Post
Ditto!
I thought a year ago when I first started visiting this site (I am no "chatter"), that the "behind the scenes folks" of this RB page would be driving info, developments, dates, feedback - but not so! It has taken on the form of the fans! With Dandelion's balancing act on-line with us and connecting with the "officials" when the ax has been occasionally needed, things have gone quite well, I'd say. I have gained one hundred times more than I have been able to offer! Thanks, D and all.

It would be interesting if a nationally televised and fitting interview did come from our requests to the above listed addresses. You never know!!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's This? A friend at work said several months ago...that he watched Charlie Rose with Bradbury being interviewed. I remember saying, Occh! How did I miss that? He always watches Charlie Rose...so I never suspected he was kidding me.

And Yeah... long while ago I either wrote Oprah Show, in Chicago....or left a lengthy message on their "idea phone line" for their Book Club thingie. Well, we all know how that wound-up. Not enough good books out there, she claimed. .

Oh yeah sure! How about the ratings falling during that time... and advertising dollars waning a bit.. That's more the truth, according to industry reports...

Here's one......
During Johnny Carson's last TV show (1992 ?) what Great Writer was on another talk show, opposite Carson's Farewell Show, same time slot, that same evening? Hint::::: The talk show host, until recently, interjected his brand of humorous dialogue on Monday Night Football, and the Writer is someone we all Love.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fjpalumbo. Now what about the rest of you?

quote:
Originally posted by Green Shadow:
I just sent an e-mail to CBS and one to The Charlie Rose Show. It's in your court.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
[B]What's This? A friend at work said several months ago...that he watched Charlie Rose with Bradbury being interviewed. I remember saying, Occh! How did I miss that?

Occh! How did I miss that, too? They must have re-scheduled. I'm going to see if I can buy a video copy of that show. And yes, I will also send an e-mail to the CBS address. Maybe I'll wait a few days so what we're doing won't seem so obvious. By the way, interesting tidbit: I know several years back, Ray was on the Conan O'Brien show. Like to have a copy of that one also....oh, well.

posted Hide Post
Bill Olberg:

Ray was also on opposite the Last Show of Johnny Carson, which was also on the same time slot... That would be with talk show host Dennis Miller: The Dennis Miller Show.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two emails sent! Great idea.

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post