Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Getting older?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting older?
 Login/Join

posted
When I reread my favorite books I still get a thrill. But my perspective has changed. I no longer relate to the children, I see it now thru the eyes on an adult. How about you?

Posts: 16 | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here, EXCEPT when I read Bradbury! He can transport me back to childhood feelings, sensory perceptions, perspectives, and more with his unique mastery of the phrase.
Also, reading to my grandchildren books I loved as a kid brings me back too.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it's true. I noticed this first not with books, but with Star Trek. When I first watched the episodes as a kid, I always disliked the Bones character, I though he was an old pain in the you- know-what. Now when I watch the shows, I totally relate to Bones.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still see movies through a child's eyes, but I have switched over to the adult perspective when it comes to reading most of the time. Many times the inclusion of a child in a novel seems like an intrusion and can ruin a perfectly serviceable book with an unnecessary storyline. But that's usually when the child is intended to be a nuisance. I read to escape from the constant obligations of parenthood and all that other major downer, raining on my parade, working for the man, sellout, subservient, nose to the grindstone, feet planted firmly on the ground... stuff. So the child's perspective is a safe place to go in order to get away from all of that.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try rereading Something Wicked This Way Comes. Who are you now in the story? I read this first when I was about 12. The story now is not so scary, but more intense.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read it to the kids last year. I'm still Will, always will be.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's nuthin worse than some little brat runnin around in a book ruinin a perfectly good story. lol Askin for lollipops and balloons, and yellin and screamin, sheesh! lol
Seriously, one of the managers at work goes on and on about Alice in Wonderland and said he has read it five times and it's his all time favorite book. I was going to read it when I get the chance but I usually can't get into full blown nonsensical stuff either. In regards to my point of view, I am apt to get swept away in any book that I find good and absorbing so be it a kid or adult character, I can usually see it from the point of view that the author is directing. I am prone to being very imaginative especially with symbolism and childlike daydreams or fantasy when I read so I can definitely sympathize with a child character and see the story through a childs eyes still. I can also see through a jaded adults eyes as well so it varies according to what and if I'm fully into what I'm reading. Now, if on the other hand, it is something I don't see a point to and I'm not into it fully, then the answer is no.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Will. . .at what point do our parents finally become heroes?

Then, there's this show Heroes--it appeals to me on both adult and kid levels--wow. It's so like RB, that something would relate like that, across the years. . .

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the series premiere and that rediculous Las Vegas single mom stripper chick indebted to the mob storyline ruined the show for me. If they kill her off maybe I'll watch it again.