Ray Bradbury Forums
Video: Ray Accepts 2007 PULITZER

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/5461070333

06 September 2007, 07:55 PM
Nard Kordell
Video: Ray Accepts 2007 PULITZER
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a YOUTUBE video of Ray Bradbury finally accepting the actual 2007 Pulitzer document from the hands
of author William F. Nolan. Unable to travel east to accept the award in person, it wasn't until August 25th, 2007,
when a birthday celebration was held for Ray at the Mystery and Imagination Bookstore in Glendale, California,
that Ray was finally handed the award. Afterwards, author George Clayton Johnson talks about the influences
of Ray and his own fond memories of Bradbury's works.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

YOUTUBE Video Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbXwOeFQ8mU

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
06 September 2007, 10:03 PM
jkt
Nard: You do great work. Now if you could only edit the video to give me a more masculine voice. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
07 September 2007, 03:38 AM
Mr. Dark
Nard:

This is fantastic. I'm amazed at the age we live in. That you could be here (where many of us cannot be), film this very cool, informal event, post it, assign a link, and all of us can watch this. I loved what George Clayton Johnson said, that if you can imagine it, it will happen. I also like the categorization he has of magic realism. I enjoyed the comparison to Hemingway. Thanks for doing this video and sharing it with us. We are all blessed by having you out in CA and sharing these experiences with us.
07 September 2007, 05:19 AM
ravenswake
Hey Nard--did you edit the clip, or is the fact that it's 4 minutes and 51 seconds long a poetic coincidence? Anyway, thanks friend.
07 September 2007, 07:41 AM
fjp451
The enthusiasm of George Clayton Johnson for the moment and the event is extremely revealing. They were the pioneers of a upstart genre. He mentions several big hitters of those early years. He also places RB in the forefront of the movement and highlights the author's tireless production of stories.

The front of this Dandelion Wine edition captures how I view Mr. Bradbury's love for and approach to his prolific wriitng methods:
http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/55/327/753/0553277537.jpg

I had made arrangements to travel to NYC in the event that the Pulitzer was received in person by Mr. B. It was not to be. Seeing the award presented here online (with so many truly appreciative longtime fans able to do the same) gives the video a special irony. The technology RB imagined decades back did indeed allow us to share in the moment. Thanks, Nard!

Mr. Dark, McKinney is not far from Mineola (where we spent a week over spring break), itself just north of Canton, Tx, which in turn is the name of our small town here in beautiful NNY! We are all tied into the same ball of yarn, it sometimes seems. How goes your teaching at the year's outset?
07 September 2007, 08:06 AM
Mr. Dark
The teaching is going well. Last semester my class was World Lit I--all the stories of origin, myths, Homer, Shakespear, Gilgamesh, and including early lit from Asia, So/central America, Europe, Africa and North America. Some of the lit included works I had never read before. I did several introductory lectures on Joseph Campbell's use of mythology (and discussed Bradbury's use of metaphor), and we looked at early literature in those terms. The readings also included the Qur'an, OT, NT, Bhagavaad Gita, etc. So very fun stuff.

This semester is back to introduction to Philosophy--which I also love teaching. We cover some great minds in this class.
07 September 2007, 09:50 AM
fjp451
Impressive selection of topics and authors. Your students, I am sure, come out of your classes informed and wondering!
I had read J. Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces long ago. I really should revisit it with my current, somewhat more experienced, perspective.
http://www.imdr.edu/faculty/Hero.htm

Gilgamesh is really travelling back in time! Nice.
07 September 2007, 12:42 PM
philnic
Nard, thanks for anothe great clip. GCJ is a delight to listen to, and it's good to see the fun banter between GCJ and Bill Nolan.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
08 September 2007, 09:53 PM
LordShen
nard, thanx! i wish the people nearby had had the common courtesy to keep quiet tho so that the audio was cleaner and maybe i dunno LISTEN TO THE MEN SPEAKING!!!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com
09 September 2007, 08:15 AM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by LordShen:
nard, thanx! i wish the people nearby had had the common courtesy to keep quiet tho so that the audio was cleaner and maybe i dunno LISTEN TO THE MEN SPEAKING!!!

I was one of the more prominent voices you heard in the background; the fat man with the falsetto voice. I apologize for making it difficult for you to hear Nard’s tapings but I was working the event and was not even award Nard was doing video with his little camera. I really thought he was just holding up the camera and waiting for the best still photo opportunity.

John King Tarpinian
09 September 2007, 08:37 AM
Doug Spaulding
I believe Mr Shen was referring to the background noise of all the crowd talking rather than you. I have seen the videos and your voice never seemed intrusive, it's The Crowd!

Beware the Crowd.

"Live Forever!"
09 September 2007, 08:39 AM
Doug Spaulding
On the other hand, banter is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
09 September 2007, 06:48 PM
LordShen
Indeed, Doug Spaulding. You are correct. It's the madding crowd! I hear no prominent voices, rather a jumbled mumbling of a crowd (several voices).

jkt i would never attack you on any matter. imho we are fellow forum posters and lovers of bradbury. if u had work to do so be it i'd rather u do what was needed at such a prestigious event rather than i get whatever small thing i want.

it's no one's fault in particular and i meant no offense.

and, once more DS, u are correct: banter is indeed a good word!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LordShen,

10 September 2007, 10:12 AM
jkt
quote:

I should have said that my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. NO offence taken. I'd have rather not been in any of the videos. Wink

John King Tarpinian
10 September 2007, 11:10 AM
LordShen
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
quote:

I should have said that my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. NO offence taken. I'd have rather not been in any of the videos. Wink

haha!