Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Questions for Mr.Bradbury Threadlet?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Questions for Mr.Bradbury Threadlet?
 Login/Join

posted
I propose this threadlet for new questions for Mr.Bradbury.
Biblical Themes in F451
I wanted to ask about one part of F451. Near the end of the book, Montag recives a new occult/hidden name (known only to a few) after he witnesses his own death ostensibly on the TV by the state after he has eluded capture. Montag shortly afterwards quotes from Revelation. Being a bible-scholar hobbyist, the new-name thing jumped out at me. I went to the portion of revelation, which was close to where Montag quotes, and found the part of Revelation where God is admonishing the 7 churches of the Earth to repent. Pergamos is one of those churches, and this chuch is told that if it's members repent, among other things they will recieve new names (also hidden) as a blessing from God. Pergamos is named after the region, and is so named because it's where parchment was created.
Considing the crucial importance of the written word in the book --My question for Mr.Bradbury is, did he mean to make this connection for us, as a kind of "easter-egg" for bible scholars. Does he think a comparison to Lot and his wife is also fair, concerning Montag and Mildred, in that Montag left the city, while Mildred metaphorically looked back? And lastly, was Faber's reading of Job to Montag earlier in the book, over the earpiece, foreshadowing? Thanks for taking the time to hear me out! Cheers!

Posts: 4 | Location: Canada | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somena, you unfortunately just missed out on asking Ray a question. The whole masterful thing was put together by Nard and then taken to Ray personally and then he painstakenly relayed all of the answers. You may be able to ask your question if he does it again, which I think he will, in the near future. Per everyone's appreciation and loyalty to him for doing this, I do not think you will get much response, it isn't personal, trust me. Maybe you can post a question onto that other thread and if he does it again, yours will be included I'm sure. By the way, enjoyed your essay, best I've read in a long while.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I just joined the boards on the day that the questions were posted and thought it was a regular thing.. No offence was intended to the hard work done by the organizers...

I'm just trying to figure out if the Pergamos/Parchment thing was an "easter egg" in F451, or not.

I'll be patient and wait for the next time that the community here does it.

Sorry again if my impulsiveness stepped on anybody's toes.

Best regards
Somena

Posts: 4 | Location: Canada | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't apologize! It's ok. And welcome to the boards.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post