Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Treasured Ray Books
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treasured Ray Books
 Login/Join

posted
What are your most prized collectable Ray Bradbury books. These aren't the ones you casually leave on the breakfast table when you leave for work, I'm talking about that sweet score you may have ordered on Amazon or found for next to nothing in a thrift store, the one that made you practically get down on your hands and knees to thank your lucky stars.

Mine are as follows in order of treasuredness;

1969 hardback copy of Fahrenheit 451 library copy from the school my daughter is starting in fall, was given to me by a friend and co-worker because she doesn't like library copy's. I recently was able to get it autographed by Ray making it all the more special to me.

1962 hardback edition of R Is For Rocket (I think it's a first edition, not positive.) signed by Ray. Ordered from Amazon unsigned.

1966 hardback edition of S Is For Space (possibly another first edition) signed by Ray.
Amazon, unsigned.

1951 hardback first edition of Illustrated Man signed by Ray. I absolutely adore the picture of Ray riding his bike on the back. Amazon, unsigned.

1969 hardback edition of I Sing The Body Electric. I treasure this one for the spacey shadowed picture of Ray on back. Used bookstore, All Booked Up, here in town.

1955 first edition paperback The October Country from Amazon in which Ray signed for me, "Greg, Thanks Man, Love Ray Bradbury!" But, because the "n" in man is slightly askew making it look like an upper case "D", it appears to say, "Greg, Mad Love, Ray Bradbury!", thereby contributing to my friend's tauntings that I stalk Ray Bradbury. Probably fortuitous for both parties that I live in Ky. Just kidding.

1953 first edition paperback copy of F-451 that I saved from the trash heap at the bookstore I work! Right time, right place baby!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one-hundred eight-six signed by Ray plus a box-full waiting Ray to have the time for me. But whether it be a first edition first printing hardback I bought or a well read paperback I kept from my youth it are the ones that Ray handed to me personally that mean the most. I am sure that I am not alone among other posters who feel the same way.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend not to get sentimental about specific books (I'm more interested in the words within than details of which edition I own, or which binding). However...

I suppose the RB book I am most attached to is this paperback copy of The October Country:

It was the first Bradbury book I ever owned, and the second I ever read.

My first introduction to RB was through The Golden Apples Of The Sun, which my English teacher used in classes in... (quick calculation...) ...1974. Shortly after this I came across the October Country paperback in a jumble sale, and bought it for a few pennies. I loved every minute of it, with the exception of one or two stories. I still think the cover art is quite an astonishing interpretation of "The Scythe".

The book is looking rather brown now, but it's still in good condition - intact spine, covers still fully attached. I still read it from time to time.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket, you are seeing things correctly, it IS Mad Love that Ray is writing as I have several with that same inscription. "Mad Love" sounds better than "Man Love", I think!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane! Where the heck have you been?
I've missed you, bud.
Here's what I think of every time you guys mention "mad love"!

ImageMad_Love.jpg (45 Kb, 12 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I suppose the RB book I am most attached to is this paperback copy of The October Country:

Love the Harlequin cover!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harlequin?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's an American thing.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, Doug's referring to "Harlequin Romance" books - shallow love stories the covers of which stereotypically depict a shirtless muscular guy and a peasant-bloused woman locked in a passionate embrace. What you may call "bodice-rippers".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome back bi-plane, wherever you flew in from. That is astounding bi-plane, I just thought it was a fluke in his handwriting. So, it's mad love eh? B-Two, how'd you know I love Lorre? Yes, historical romance novels as they are sometimes called also have zany titles. The best one I've seen to date is "The Very Viral Viking". Thanks for sharing jkt & philnic!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
What you may call "bodice-rippers".

Ah, I understand. I don't think we have Harlequin Romance over here. Mills & Boon anyone?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
What you may call "bodice-rippers".

Ah, I understand. I don't think we have Harlequin Romance over here. Mills & Boon anyone?

One and the same!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
The best one I've seen to date is "The Very Viral Viking".

Indeed!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Mills & Boon anyone?

Mills & Boon is a British publisher of romance novels, part of Harlequin Mills & Boon Limited, a subsidiary of Harlequin Enterprises Ltd. It has nearly 75% of the British romance paperback market share, publishing under the brandnames Mills & Boon, Silhouette and MIRA.

That's probably those paperbacks that Daisy reads on Keeping Up Appearances, here.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug, what was awesome about that sitting was that I got to keep the sword!