Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Classic Ray Bradbury Interview
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Ray Bradbury Interview
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one, thanks dandelion.

Note that this is one of many interviews where Ray says Truffaut did a good job, and F451 is a good film. In his later years, he kept saying that Truffaut had ruined it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I must say that I heard Ray discuss the Truffaut version of F451 several times over the years, and I never once heard him say that Truffaut had "ruined" the film. He usually said that Truffaut did a good job, that the final scenes of the Book People in the snowy forest were wonderful, and that Bernard Herrmann had written a beautiful score, but that he thought the film could have been even better. His main criticisms were that Truffaut had left out certain important portions of the book, especially those dealing with the mechanical hound, and that he did not think that Julie Christie was especially successful in playing the young Clarisse.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, Richard, 'tis true. From a quick Google search, here is one example:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...c-novel_N.htm?csp=34

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank, Phil. I must say that comment is far different from what I ever heard Ray say.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he started getting a bit cranky regarding the Truffaut film during the last five or six years of his life. A shame, but when you live that long I think you're entitled to be cranky.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
The link isn't working for me?

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's working for me. Try again?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Now it's working, website must have been down when I tried.
Thanks!

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8/3/2009 - date of this article!

We have wondered here from "long ago" if F451 as a classic movie presentation will ever have its match lit!?

Maybe we should fan the flames from this RB site in honor of Mr. Bradbury's lifetime of literary genius. What do you think phil, DS, jkt, Richard, et al!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fan the flames? Yes. But what does this mean?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
How about a letter to an appropriate office expressing the concern of RB's most stalwart fan-base that the need of a modern F451 movie is long overdue!!

Does Mr. Darabont have intentions of ever getting this underway ...somehow!? (Or other names that have been raised when this topic gets us going.)

"Jump off the cliff and build the wings on the way down."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could Ray have been getting cranky to promote a new version, or the need for one?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the very first letter Mr. Bradbury ever sent to me and my "wonderful students" (dated May 9, 1996), his opening comments included the following:
"I wish I could answer each of your notes to me personally, but my heavy schedule, trying to answer 200 or so letters per week plus finishing work on a new screenplay of FAHRENHEIT 451 for Mel Gibson, I am busy as all Hades."

Dandy, from all I have read since that time, I have felt an accurate F451 seemed "needed." The Gibson ownership (?) may be a labyrinth of its own. (I am not at all versed in the manner in which such rights are handled.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Could Ray have been getting cranky to promote a new version, or the need for one?

Yes, I think that is likely to be part of it. But I also think that in his later years he became harsher in his condemnation of John Huston and other directors/collaborators whose work he had once praised.

- Phil