Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Riverside - Eaton Conference 2011

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riverside - Eaton Conference 2011
 Login/Join

posted
I thought I should start a new thread to make this line of discussion easier to find.

Next weekend is the Eaton Science Fiction Conference 2011, taking place in Riverside, California. The conference is organised by the University of California, Riverside.

The website of the conference is here:
http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/

I will be attending the whole conference, and presenting a paper on Harlan Ellison on the Saturday. Harlan is expected to attend the Saturday evening event to receive the Eaton Award for lifetime achievement. (Neither event is free, but tickets may still be available - see the website for details.

Harlan is also expected to attend the Friday evening screening of the excellent documentary about him, DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH.

While I'm in Riverside, I would be pleased to meet with any Bradbury board members from California (or elsewhere!). I expect to be free on the Sunday evening, and jkt has indicated that he could probably meet up on that day.

Anyone else?

Either post a reply here, or email me at this address: eaton at bradburymedia dot co dot uk

My last opportunity to read/reply to messages will be Tuesday 8 Feb! After that, I shall be on my travels and largely incommunicado.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anybody live in the Inland Empire that can suggest an eatery for the Sunday breaking-of-the-bread?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safe and happy travels, philnic. Would like to read your paper.
Did you catch the studio360 interview with Harlan Ellison in 2009?

http://www.studio360.org/2009/...arlan-ellison-uncut/

Two vintage book covers of vintage Ellison:

ImagePain_ObliFront.jpg (283 Kb, 5 downloads)

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The backs:

ImagePain_ObliBack.jpg (267 Kb, 5 downloads)

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Linnl. Yes, I had heard that interview.

Nice book covers, but I'm always amazed at how 'of their time' a lot of Ellison's paperback covers have been. I started collecting his works in the '80s, when Ace republished them with (in my opinion) more tasteful and more timeless cover paintings by Barclay Shaw.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post