Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Meanwhile... down in the cellar
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile... down in the cellar
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
grasstains:

Yep! Thanks for reminding me of the one in Anaheim. I'll have to tke my wife there. Couldn't stay away from Southern California any longer. It's in the genes. It's like...wow!...the old board is humming. This is great.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first stop in SoCal is ALWAYS the original TOMMY'S on Beverly and Rampart.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard Belisles closed. One of the all-time great restaurants down there...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Nard - Welcome to paradise! Since you are now a neighbor please call anytime. Maybe we can travel together to visit our favorite author in LA? Also, there is an Original Pancake House in Laguna Niguel/Laguna Hills on Moulton Parkway and Pacific Park, but it is always crowded and there is a big wait. The food is great, been going there for years.
p. trask (949) 837 6645

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brailling II - Yes, Belisles closed. Where else in OC could you get roast pork with all the Southern trimmings and the desserts!
Sorely missed.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys should go to this-

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
&
Fangoria Entertainment
announce

A FREE special viewing of exclusive footage from
Peter Jackson's KING KONG DVD

One & Only Theatrical Screening of
-Skull Island-
A DVD bonus feature from the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD of
KING KONG

Following the DVD presentation,
the evening will continue with a showing of
THE SCI-FI BOYS
A feature documentary by Paul Davids
also coming to DVD

Panel Discussion with
Forrest J Ackerman, Basil Gogos, Steve Johnson & Paul Davids

Tony Timpone, Editor of Fangoria Magazine, will introduce the night

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

7:00 pm

The Egyptian Theater
6712 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood

To RSVP, please call 818-777-0604
PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY! SEATS ARE NOT GUARANTEED, ARE LIMITED TO THEATRE CAPACITY AND ARE FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED.
TICKET DISTRIBUTION WILL BEGIN AT APPROXIMATELY 5:30 PM. NO TICKETS WILL BE DISTRIBUTED AFTER 6:30 PM. NO ADMITTANCE WILL BE PERMITTED ONCE SCREENING HAS BEGUN.

This event is free and open to the public.
For more information, please contact Andrea Nicastro andrea@ssapr.com

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-15-2006).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Nard, by the way its Robot, not Robert, thats my father. For real. Ok, whew, ahem, where to begin and whom to answer. Braling, I love Bluegrass and Bruce Cogburn, I would love to hear your bluegrass stuff, I like some jazz also. Grasstains, you GO GIRL! Your a fellow savoreror, ah, er...ah what I mean to say is keep up the celebration of life and posting. I do remember the loooong signs in 451, that was great. Okay, music is super important to me also, here's my favs in order.

Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Tangerine Dream
Rolling Stones
Neil Young/C.S.N.

That's pretty much my top fivers for rock, the dead's music is definitely the soundtrack of my life. When I lived in Fullerton, Ca in late seventies/early eighties I was simultaneosly into punk and the Dead if you can beleive that, so I am including my short list also of punk cause I still dig it.

The Clash (love Sandhinista)
The Dead Kennedy's
The Damned
The Lords of the New Church
Fear

One of my hats still has a damned button on it. I used to try and convert deadheads to punk and take my punk friends to dead shows.
Although these are my favs, I am very eclectic in my musical interest. When I mix my cds, you may have Karen Carpenter with a next up of Captain Sensible or Sinatra and Miles Davis going into the kennedy's. You get my drift.

This is unrelated(that's why I'm going ahead anyway and posting it), but I got off early today and meandered through Half Price Books. I bought way too many as usual but two really good ones are, Tales of the Great Lakes, and America's Atlantic Coast Lighthouses. The first looks historical and interesting. The second is large, full of details and schematics(?). The reason I got off work early initially is because I was worried about all of you still crammed in this lifeboat. This is a travesty, to think the rescue ship pulls up and then won't let you come on board. What's with the french anyway....Due to the fact that I did leave early today, I had to fire myself. Tomorrow, I will probably severely reprimand myself and hire myself back with a warning. Today, I also went to the U.S.G.S. mapsite, if you haven't checked this site out, it rocks. I was trying to download a topo-map of the town of Waukegan so that I could maybe actually see the ravine. My puters too slow, so I ended up ordering one from a mapstore here in town. Can you tell, I am over the top enthused about the upcoming festival in Ray's honor this fall. I think I'm going to try and get a street guide off the City's main page. I am a student of the benign and random facts school, if you haven't noticed. All of you regulars had better be planning on going to this, its not to be missed! I don't care if you have to rob a bank whilst speaking on your communication device or have to blindfold and hogtie your whole family, just do it! Because number one, I want to meet you. You may be shocked to note how really normal the rest of my family is, while I am from planet x-14 in star system 7, I'm anomalous. (that means I write) ahem, i kill myself sometimes. I forgot what else, lets see, that I was going to say..."I'm a loner Dottie, you better not get mixed up with me." Darn, that wasn't it....your ma boy, Luke, whyncha join the dark side(said in a slingblade voice).....now i'm just plain boring myself...you've got mail/goodbye.

p.s. remember that post I put up about Ray's most used words? You don't? Well, I'm now almost done with The Machineries Of Joy, and I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the most used word he uses besides the thes and the ands is Murmurs with Billions a hot second. The man thinks big and talks low!

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm from Anaheim (La Palma and Harbor) and used to slide down the hills of Hillcrest Park on blocks of ice. Sometimes we'd steal kids' Bigwheels we'd find parked in their front yards (yeah, that was me) and go flying down on those.

I went to Anaheim High School for two years and Gilbert Continuation for one before dropping out. I was doing more than sliding down the hills in Hillcrest Park by this time.

Class of 84

Left town in 83

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-15-2006).]

posted Hide Post
Wow, my old stomping ground. I went to El-Dildo, I mean El-Dorado, sorry all, thats what we called it. Class of '81. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end la la la la, thats all the words I know. Oh sorry, I forgot to mention earlier some friends I went to school with and hung out were, D.I., Adolescents, S.D., and Agent Orange, Mike Palm especially since 7th. grade. My friend Carlos started Agent Orange and even named it, but then he got too messed up and the rest booted him and went on. Sometimes I miss Ca. so bad, it gets in your blood and stays forever. I remember smelling all those smells at sunset or early evening, not sure what magic spice that is but it may be sage or something, do you know? Forgot, I love Zep also.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-15-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln:

Robert? ha! Mind working overtime. Sorry!

grasstains: Hillcrest Park? ha! Lived in Fullerton,right off of Harbor and Chapman, visited Hillcrest many times. Lived in fullerton between 1977 and 1985...then to Placentia/Yorba Linda area. We must have passed each other in the aisles of Ralph's.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problemo Nard. Wow, When we first moved out there from Louisville in '76, we lived on Bagnall Ave. I went to Tuffree Jr. High, they teased us unmercifully about our hillbilly accents at first until we "became" natives by osmosis. We moved back to Ky. in 1980 and unfortunately, I had to graduate in a strange school where I knew no one. They made fun of my weird California lingo and my long hair then, can't win for losin. I moved back yet again in 1982 then came back six mo. later. homesick. In July 82, I was in a bad motorcycle wreck due to a car pulling in front of me, I wasn't wearing a shirt either. When it happened, I did everything your not supposed to do. I said shit, closed my eyes as I turned the bike and braked simultaneously. I went down and slid, almost sliding by the black thunderbird. But alas I just clipped the rear bumper rearing the bike back up and spinning me in circles. On impact with my knee, the little curve where the bumper goes around the rear of the car grabbed my knee and tore a large "L" in it, meanwhille all the ligaments blew out the backside and my femur was snapped completely in two. Somehow I miraculously stayed on the bike still spinning to a halt on the hot July pavement. The icing on the cake was that I had my helmet on too loose and it struck my glasses breaking my nose. Immediately there was a crowd and I tried to get off the bike, nothing worked. I didn't feel pain, yet, just a warm sensation as the blood flowed. The ambulance arrived finally and carted me off where unfortunately the only people they could contact was my grandparents who had to witness me in that state. I spent a whole month in the hospital and three operations on my leg. I was lucky, I had great doctors to put humpty dumbass back together again. Today I just have a little limp and two screws still in my knee. After I recouped, I moved yet again to Ca. back to my friends. I stayed longer this time, 3.5 yrs, working in Brea at a refridgeration coil co. until I got busted. I did have the time of my life there, but when I was there, I missed my family here always and vice versa. I didn't mean to go on about this, sometimes memories have a way of flowing clear as water out of you like a movie. Went back for a visit in '87, haven't been back since and I've lost touch with all my old homies.

Hahahaha, I just thought of something funny, I really do have metal in me, I really must be a robot, just a little anyway.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Robot
Lincoln:

Brea? What year?
I had a friend who had a motorcycle accident in Brea, by Imperial and Associate Road. He got hit hard while pulling out of a gas-station. Stunned...he could not believe he had been hit by a car turning out of nowhere. But he got his bike back upright, got himself back on his motorcycle, and started to proceed out of the gas-station where he was just hit, when...BAM!...he was hit again! This time he went down without being able to get back up.

He was in a hospital for months...incoherent for many weeks, even tho he had a helmet on. He walks, last I saw him, with a pretty pronounced limp and somewhat a useless arm. Used to be a strong muscular fellow. That, with the helmet, saved his life no doubt. Oh yeah, one more thing...he was only hit once! But the shock of being hit made him believe he actually got up and started back out of the gas station, when, in fact, it was all in his mind. When reality set in a moment later, he re-experienced that initial hit (thinking it was a second hit) and found himself where he had already been all the while...on the ground.

How strange the mind works in times like this.

==========

Hey, who is that walking around the front of my place, in Laguna? No...that can't be...that must be...!!! It's...patrask?? Wow! We are neighbors...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-15-2006).]

posted Hide Post
I know exactly where your talking about, I think I got a ticket there once. No my wreck ocurred when I moved back here for six months, just long enough to recover and move back to Fullerton again. My family moved out to Placentia in '76. My dad worked at Anaconda Aluminum. Moved back in '80 when he went into realestate and my mom wanted to move back to Ky. First winter we came back, she begged him to move back, but it was a no-go. I graduated in '81 and moved back here in '82, then got in wreck, and recovered. Moved back yet again from '83-'86. A big chunk of my heart is still out there. I have been up the coast as far as San Francisco. I had friends in Morro Bay and an uncle in Monterey. If I ever did come back, and its a big if, I would shoot for N. Cal or Oregon maybe. The vistas, people,and climate, momma mia!!

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Robo,

Name-dropping will get you nowhere with me, just kidding. I used to know some of those punk rockers too. It was a great time and place to be a teenager, but at the time I always thought... "Why couldn't I have been a flower child?" I too loved both genres. I used to worship "The Lizard King". I actually had more Longhair friends than punk friends, but growing up in the barrio I also had to get along with the cholos. And we all hung out together. I myself posed as a Mod. I had a great button on my trench coat that summed it all up, "Punk Rasta Low Rider From Hell".

Speaking of Brea... we used to caravan to The Brea Mall for the midnight movies. The Longhairs would see THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME, the punks would see THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION, and I'd go hang with the Mods and watch QUADROPHENIA. The cholo friends usually hung with the Longhairs and could do some mean beatbox of "Whole Lotta Love" and "Back In Black". I'll never forget that beatboxing.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-16-2006).]

posted Hide Post
Mods? Longhairs? Cholos? Rastas? Bikers?
I think we're all Bozos on this bus...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post