Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Fireman and Fahrenheit 451 Question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fireman and Fahrenheit 451 Question
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know if the original story (a short story/novella) of Fahrenheit 451, entitled "The Fire Man", was ever published? If it was, I'm very interested in any kind of help into finding a copy of it--a friendly point in the right direction. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

--The Walrus

Posts: 7 | Location: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: 21 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short story, "The Fireman" was indeed the basis for Ray Bradbury's novel FAHRENHEIT 451. The story was published in the February, 1951 issue of GALAXY MAGAZINE. Here is a link to a picture of the magazine's cover.
http://raybradburyonline.com/images/galfeb51.jpg

I have seen copies of the magazine for sale on eBay, as well as on the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE). Here is a link to the latter site (just type in appropriate search terms to look for the magazine:
http://www.abebooks.com

Finally, the story was also reprinted in the 1980 paperback anthology, SCIENCE FICTION ORIGINS, edited by William F. Nolan and Martin H. Greenberg and published by Fawcett Popular Library. Again, copies should be available on ABE.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 07-21-2004).]

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have (somewhere) another precursor to Fahrenheit 451 called "Bright Phoenix". I'm not sure where this fits in chronologically in the evolution of the story. I'll research and report anon.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, thank you so very much! Your help is actually contributing to a class lesson I'm planning for my sophomore English class.

--The Walrus

Posts: 7 | Location: Seattle, WA USA | Registered: 21 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,
Thanks for posting that link. God, I love those illustrations- takes me back...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walrus- I'm also planning a SF unit with my sophomore classes. I'd be interested to know what you're doing.

Posts: 4 | Location: texas | Registered: 21 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Walrus, glad I could help. That's the great thing about this site...you're surrounded by people who know and love Ray's work, and want to assist others whenever they can (unless the posters are students who want their homework done for them, without any thoughts of their own!).

posted Hide Post
Braling II, Teacher, Richard, and Co.,

Wow, Braling II, so you're saying there's even an additional story that Bradbury wrote that precedes "The Fire Man" and Fahrenheit 451 OR at least falls in between them? After them? "Bright Phoemix"? Please do get back to me about that.

This is nice--my first thread with my first posts here at this site and everyone's been great and very helpful. I'm very appreciative.

In regards to Teacher's request for the Sci-Fi unit, I'm very early in my planning stages. When I really have something substantial, I'll get back to you. It will probably be a revionist-like idea for creative writing in which the students have to re-write a story either their own or one that has been published, perhaps even based on one of Bradbury's own short stories--like "The Banshee" or "The Lake". Maybe even Fahrenheit 451. Come to think of it, perhaps start the unit with "The Fire Man", have the students re-write it with an alternate resolution, then teach the novel. I'm just thinking as I go. I'll tidy it up.

At the moment, I'm teaching Fahrenheit 451 to my summer school class and, to my relief, they're digging it. This all started from viewing a documentory on Bradbury ("Ray Bradbury: An American Icon") and re-reading the book's afterward. Somehow, I plan to integrate "The Fire Man" by next week. I was able to order the book that has "The Fire Man" in it--"Origins of Science Fiction"--and will go from there. I'll post my lesson when it's finished for the curious.

--The Walrus

[This message has been edited by The Walrus (edited 07-21-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I just re-read my above post and need to apologize for the occasional, gramatical faux pas. Next time I'll read it before posting it!

--The Walrus

posted Hide Post
The Walrus, since you are new to the site, you probably don't realize that you can edit your message even after you post it if you discover typos, incorrect grammar, and so forth. Just click on the icon above the posting that shows a piece of paper and a pencil.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard.

In case anyone's interesteed, I just found "Bright Phoenix" in a collection of Bradbury stories entitled "100 of His Most Celebrated Tales". It does look like this is another early version.

--The Walrus

posted Hide Post
I attended a conference this summer where one of the teachers taught Dandelion Wine and had her students write a new chapter and "insert" it in the book. That might be a great idea with 451, or any other book for that matter. She also told us how her students ended up sending their copies to Bradbury, and he would pick the best and send that student a leather-bound, inscribed edition of the book. Evidently, she did it for 11 years before she was moved to another level. Pretty incredible!

Posts: 4 | Location: texas | Registered: 21 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Teacher,

That's a great idea with "Dandelion Wine", and after reading a similar missing-chapter-like-idea from none other than Mr. Bradbury himself--his Afterward to Fahrenheit 451--a plan is forming...

Perhaps students can write the missing chapters that deal with some of the characters, like for Clarisse or Faber--perhaps even for Mildred. Writing about Montag's new life, I feel, wouldn't be as interesting, but who knows.

--The Walrus

[This message has been edited by The Walrus (edited 07-22-2004).]