Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    =rAy brAdbUry AnswErs yOUr qUEstIOns =
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

=rAy brAdbUry AnswErs yOUr qUEstIOns =
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nard, you are AWESOME.

Please thank Mr. Bradbury for me and I presonally thank you for this opportunity. Kudos!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you got my post in time, unfortunately it was misinterpreted Frowner (I mean't as in writing for bands rather than musicals). Anyways, thanks for considering my question.

Now, reading about his response to meaning it made me wonder what he would say to being studied in school. He seems to emphasize interpretations, but my class was very narrow when it came to drawing conclusions. I wonder if he considers the thorough analysis of his stories, or even if he would approve of it. He seems like someone who feels as if to just read the book and take whatever you get from it in the end. As for me, I had to compare his life and events surrounding his life to his work in order to make a conclusion. Anyways, sorry for the ramble.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
atroposmar: Nope. Didn't misinterpret your question. The problem was that Ray would have none of it. That is to say, he wouldn't think of purposely writing music for another 'artist'. That's not to be. But he'll write the lyrics for his own music for his own play. So the answer went that-away from your original intent.

As to Ray being studied in school, much of the high schools across the country have Ray Bradbury in their studies of reading. At least 1 or more of his stories are in school textbooks. If you want more, you'll have to sign up for Sam Weller's Ray Bradbury studies class at the Columbia College in downtown Chicago. Sam, of course, penned the biography of Ray Bradbury. Supposedly, he has the only full scale studies class strictly on the writings of Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for doing this, Nard. It really brought a big flash of light into my grey little world (been down with the flu). I know it means a lot to all of us to be able to ask Ray our own question and get his answer. The questions and answers are really good, it's kind of a treasure trove of knowledge about Ray, inspiration and good advice for writers.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got all gussied up for this.

*struts satin spats and saphire cuff links*

and I could not prepare myself for his answers.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to come off as argumentive, but I wasn't refering to Bradbury writing the music. Ok, this is the best way to explain my intentions: The Rolling Stones approach Ray Bradbury to contribute lyrics to one of their newly recorded songs. They give him the music and somewhat of a melody to work with, and Bradbury will contribute words to the song. Oh well, I guess was an inane question to ask anyways. Bradbury probably doesn't know much of the concept of writing lyrics to be sung as it is a great departure for him. Sorry, to have wasted anyones time. Thanks for considering though.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
atroposmar
Ooops! Now I made a misspoke. I mean 'write the lyrics"... No, I know what you meant in the beginning. But Ray works with his own music, supplies his own lyrics to his own play and music. I presented the question as you suggested, but Ray rebuffed with something like, "But my words have been put to music, in my plays!"

What I will do, therefore, when I have time, is go back and for your own interest, as well as mine, transcribe the exact back and forth conversation pertaining to your question so you can see just how it went. I'll post it later...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, when do we do this again? This was fun!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Excellent. Thanks for doing this! Give him my regards when you see him, and be sure to take good care of him. Remember, he loves fun, so make him laugh! Remember the culminating scene in Something Wicked This Way Comes. What overcomes darkness and evil is laughter and love!!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, it sounds like(and I might be wrong, probably am...)you are under the impression that this event is upcoming. If you flip back to page one, the questions from everyone and answers from Ray are posted. Of course, we are all hoping that it happens again soon...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I meant thanks for what he'd done. I enjoyed reading the Q&A, but I can see how my post may have sounded that way.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, hopefully it will be done again in the near future. Good advice by the way!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

... Your comment about squelching evil was my point of contention with the laughter scene in 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. Ray gathered a particle of truth concerning evil and good and spread it out to the extreme, that joyfulness obliterated the foul presence of the devil. A particle is not good enough. There are a lot of particles around. I wanted a chunk at the movie's end, at least that.

... So "Thanks", that you added 'love' to your comment. That's a lot more than just laughter. That's a whole big chunk!

posted Hide Post
Something Wicked This Way Comes was still a very good movie. Probably has already been noted that some of the movie was re-shot, and was ultimately given a brand new musical director and musical score, replacing the original.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Q & A starts up again, either heard it around in the last year, or read something about it, that Bradbury may have had some dealings with Carl Sandburg. So my question would be if Bradbury ever worked on any projects whatsoever with poet Carl Sandburg?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post