Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I made it through Hurricane Wilma!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I made it through Hurricane Wilma!
 Login/Join

posted
For those who might have read or been watching TV about Hurricane Wilma, my family and I survived, although it was an experience I would not wish to repeat. My daughter lives on the top floor of her apartment building and a portion of the room above her apartment was ripped off, her ceiling got soaked and collapsed. Fortunately she had just walked outside when it fell.

She is now staying with my wife and I until she can find a new place to live.

I hope that our other Florida posters might check in and let us know how they are. I am using my computer at work otherwise we have no power where we live.

It's nice to be back. Oh, I spoke with Ray yesterday and he sounded great. He has half a dozen plays running around LA and is very happy about that.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane:
I had thought about you during some of the televised coverage and am glad all is well. Family members, safe and unharmed ~ great news!

Give me a good old fashioned blizzard with 3 feet of snow in a 24 hr. span, any day! I could live without those -20F temps for a week at a time, however!

Yesterday, I sent Mr. B a letter and package (w/ special gift -copy of my book). Knard was planning on stopping by to see him this weekend, as I recall. So, it seems the positive energies are all flowing his way, as well they should.
Be well...f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear it. I'd been wondering if you were still alive!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank and Dandelion for your thoughts. Although Andrew in 1992 was very severe, it was narrow in its path of destruction, whereas Wilma has affected everywhere from the Florida Keys to Palm Beach County with trees down, roofs off, windows shattered and power and phone lines out.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, there! Glad to hear you made it through!
My stepmother lives in Sarasota, but Wilma spared them.
OK. I just had to attach this sattelite photo of Wilma...
(Right-click then Open)

Imagewilma.jpg (55 Kb, 14 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you came through it, biplane1. Braling II, I just knew Mrs Flintstone would figure in there somewhere!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You’ve been in our thoughts. Glad to hear all is well!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling, you are just too funny! And biplane, I am so glad to hear you and yours are all safe and sound.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I spoke with Ray the other day, I asked him about his 91 year-old aunt who, he has said, lives in Ft. Lauderdale. Well, this time he got a bit more specific and said that she lives in Boca Raton, which is just north of here. Ray mentioned that his cousins keep an eye on her.

Thank all of you for your concern. My friends and relatives in Minnesota want to know if we are moving back, and I have to tell them that "noooooo" we are not moving back.

posted Hide Post
OK, Biplane! Check out Philnic's site. He has a 1st Annual RB Festival slated for July '06, over in Mount Dora, FL. I did the math for you. Total Est. Distance: 236.76 miles, from point A to point B! No excuses. Make your plans now.

The scheduled events look promising. Now, "Dora" isn't that the name the boys called Douglas when he was the last one over the fence (after listening to those grand tales and leaving from the Old Colonel's home)?

http://www.bradburymedia.co.uk/ :Item #1 in Bradbury News!
~~~~~~
By the way, Bp1 - how does 5 degrees F sound to you? On the road at 6:45 this a.m., icy windows, cold seat, bright blue sky, the sun rising in over the eastern foothills of the Adirondacks, and a hot cup of coffee in hand. It doesn't get any better than that!
Does it?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
Speaking as a former Seattle-ite, the air's not fresh if you can't see your breath!
(by the way, did you see the photo of Wilma above?)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I can honestly say that I don't miss it. But I can remember 6 in the AM and it was 33 below zero. Talk about crisp!

And Braling II, I can perhaps understand your fondness for cool, but....Say we are going to have a cold front come through here...it will get down to about 50 degrees.

posted Hide Post
Nice! I'm sure glad Biplane survived that!!

"...and that cat will stay out for the night!"

posted Hide Post
Frank,

Oh yeah, Mount Dora. You had better believe that I, and my wife, will be there. Ray is planning on being there as well, this from Ray himself.

I had done a rough compuation as to drive time, and yes it is doable, especially on the Florida Turnpike.

Believe it or not they are still cleaning up after Wilma. You can drive by apartment and condos for blocks and the curbs are filled with carpets, damaged furniture and other ruined posessions. My wife and are so fortunate as we had no damage and although our daughter lost her couch and love seat, she came through it fairly good as well. Hopefully, FEMA will reimburse her for the value of the lost items and her moving (to out apartment) expenses.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should add a "Disaster Roll Call" thread for every time there's a disaster in the vicinity of any of our forum members.

As of now: how are members in England coping with the huge oil refinery fire?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post