Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Member profiles
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Member profiles
 Login/Join

posted
I've just seen Nard's "image" in his profile - it looks just like him!

I see we can now see who has most Karma(!) points (GO ---> MEMBER DIRECTORY). I see I'm in the Top 10, and the highest UK entry, but we've all got some way to go to beat dandelion.

I think more people should choose an avatar...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you see a person's profile on this dag-blasted site?

And what's this about karma points?

Where's the directions/instructions for all of this?

This is going to take some getting used to.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains,

to see someone's profile, just move your mouse to the left of their message and click on their name.

Karma points are derived from the number of posts you have made. If you move your mouse towards the top left of the screen and click on GO, you can then select MEMBER DIRECTORY and see a full list of everybody who has ever visited the meesage board. And you can sort the list according to Karma Points.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, a member list! That's a new one! (At least, I certainly never found one on the old board.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic--How did you post that picture on your profile? What a striking looking gentleman you are!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains: I'm with you. I wish there were some directions showing the capabilities and how to use them. I'm not intuitive with computers and would love some directions.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmskipper:
philnic--How did you post that picture on your profile? What a striking looking gentleman you are!!

This is how you set a picture of yourself:

Click on GO
Select MY SPACE
Then select PROFILE
Then clcik on VIEW/EDIT PROFILE

The image is called an avatar, and as far as I can see you can only choose from a predetermined set of images. I chose a sort of bowler-hatted gent (looked kind of English, you see). Nard has chosen a Beethoven type of character (or is it Mozart?). Somebody else has nabbed the rather swanky ancient Egyptian.

As someone else has said, this is all just fluff. Or fuff.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
On one board I was on, you could use a photo of yourself as an avatar. I actually used a photo I got of Ray Bradbury for one I used on a Reading Group Bulletin Board -- my avatar was this picture of Ray Bradbury in front of a bunch of books.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for explaining that, philnic. I didn't really like any of the choices too much, but I wanted to select one anyway. My favorite was the glider, but I thought that should go to biplane, so I ended up selecting Santa. It is all fluff, but I couldn't resist.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy this loggin gon every time is for the birds!

Thanks you so much lmskipper for your thinking of me in regard to the glider symbol. I shall go see if it still available.

The reason that I chose biplane as a name is that I have ridden in biplanes numerous times, have a student pilot's license (not currently active)and got to know Ray through Richard Bach, author a book called "Biplane," in addition to a little book called "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."

Just spoke to Ray this morning asking about which aunt lives in Ft. Lauderdale. I found reading Sam's book that his aunt Neva died in 2001, so it is his aunt Edna, wife of Uncle Bion who lives here.

He was very happy that I was enjoying reading Sam's book. I even got an email from Sam saying that he expects to be at a book signing here in Florida sometime in June.

I go try and see if the glider is available. Thank you for the directions.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to select the glider, but am unsure where it shows up or how. lmskipper can you help me?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1,

the glider image will show up for anyone who clicks on your name to view your profile.

A shame the glider has only one set of wings!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
It's there, biplane, I checked. Just click on your name and then "View member profile," and you will see it.

posted Hide Post
I am a bit slow, but thank both of you, philnic and lmskipper, for briefing me on the basics of the avatar.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help Phil.

Nobody has posted at the old digs for a few days now. I guess we'd better make this place home from now on. I'm kinda saddened by this. It's still there, still functioning, but for whom? There will come soft rains, indeed. I guess we might still post over there every blue moon, or Halloween.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post