Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    the big black and white game

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the big black and white game
 Login/Join

posted
hey everybody!
what is " the big black and white game" abut .. please ..school paper

Posts: 6 | Location: fairfax, VA ,USA | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you read it? What are YOUR initial thoughts?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i havent read it .. i cant find it and i cant go to the library im doing a report on ray bradbury and i need to include all these works ive read most of the< FH451, the martian chronicles, something wicked this way comes , the illustrted man and the lake> but i need to thid one because he was seleceted for the beest american short story with it ... thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: fairfax, VA ,USA | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find Ray's story, "The Big Black and White Game" in Ray's collection, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, as well as in the 1980 collection published by Knopf, THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY. Both books are still in print and can likely be found in either your local library or a local book store.

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone who has played any level of organized baseball or has studied the sport and understands its nuances, this story really captures the feel of the game. The imagery is exact, the movements precise, and the irony of the story's outcome (in view of the plot and its conflict) is just. (See my comment in the topic of "You know you are a Ray Bradbury fan if...")

What a party that night! Jazzy-blues music, young dancers dressed to the nines, and the perspective of a young boy (RB) looking in through a dance hall window admiring his hero, Big Poe!

If you are a long time fan of Mr. Bradbury and have not read this one, definitely check out Richard's leads for getting a copy into your hands. Enjoy!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll read it tonite.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good story, in that I still remember it after reading it only once as a very young child (nine years old).

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Big Black-and-White Game" probably owes much to Ray's brother, Leonard "Skip" Bradbury. He was a great athlete in school and Ray attended his games and doubtless observed much although as far as I know he never played himself. "Skip" and his father, also named Leonard, were at a baseball game when Ray was born. They left for the game, no Ray. When they came back...
THERE WAS RAY! (and already taking notes.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the big black and white game is important because it shows Rays forsight on racial relations pre-civil Rights

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first read "The Big Black and White Game" when I was about 12 years old, during my reading of Ray's collection, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, in which the story appears (my first Bradbury book). While I loved baseball and enjoyed the story as a sports fan, it immediately hit me at another, far more significant level. It was the first story that I could recall reading as a child that dealt with the subject of racism and racial prejudice. It made a huge impact on me as a youngster.

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post