Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Wizard of Oz

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wizard of Oz
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to know why Mr Bradbury choses to launch Baum and other writers in space and burn their books in The Exiles. I'm writing a thesis on The Wizard of Oz (uni in Italy)and I'd relly appreciate your help.
Thankyou

Posts: 1 | Location: Aprilia, Italy | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Exiles" (authors) have actually been banned from the earth by the likes of the censorship crew that is hunting them down. Mr. Bradbury is presenting a theme that can be seen in many of his works (Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, F451, Dust Returned). That is, "The old is being lost or purposefully destroyed to make room for the new." In this case, the most imaginative and creative authors of all time (Poe, Shakespeare, Dickens, Bierce, Carroll, Baum, et al) have days that are numbered.

The allusions to Santa Claus, Halloween, ghosts, Scrooge, Oz, the witches, Jekyll and Hyde, and so many more - all offer the reader an opportunity to see "what was" and "what will be"! The visual image of the Emerald City epitomizes, I believe, what each of these genius authors had created in his own works (pendulums swinging, bats flying, cauldrons brewing, tinsel and holly hanging, fiddles "chirping and laughing", tables heaped with lavish meals for one of many holiday celebrations, etc.)

And "what will be"? A world dipped in "lysol, antiseptic parents, clever sociologists, resentful educationalists" - a dystopian society that we can witness in F451, Veldt, 1984, Brave New World, and other "works of warning"!

Mr. Bradbury is not the culprit in presenting this view of the demise of Baum, Poe, Shakespeare and friends.
Then who is?

As Ambrose Bierce so mavelously understates, it is "a regrettable situation!"

This is a very interesting story (one of my favorites) and deserves much more than I have offered here. However, if it takes reading the story (book) 3 times!!! (totally unplugged, no tv), maybe that is where we need to begin! (RE: Previous "Q's on F451")

Otherwise, this story will come to be and the last book will be burned, the authors will not be simply exiled but rather extinct, and "sand will blow across 'our' shoes, whining"!
(I hope this helped in some way.)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-28-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post