Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I have 3 questions

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have 3 questions
 Login/Join

posted
Do any of you know what was Ray Bradbury's latest work? - What was his latest Science-Fiction book? And finally is he still working on writing such as novels or Short Stories?
thank you very much!

Posts: 18 | Location: Camp Hill, PA | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His newest work that I've seen is, "One More For the Road". It is a collection of "new" short stories, so I have to assume he is still doing some writing. One of the stories is dated 1947, but others are as late as 2000 and 2001.

It says on the title page that it is a "new story collection". If you emphasize the "new" it would imply that the stories are new. If you emphasize the "story collection," the claim would be that the collection is a new collection. It is published by William Morrow and copyrighted 2002.

I have just gotten a copy and have only read a couple of the stories, but they were good.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2001, From the Dust Returned was followed shortly thereafter by One More for For the Road. Other current "stuff" in the works: movie (rumors) for MC, as well as F451 - for many years!? Gauntlet Press has hinted "something" about work on early movies, this after their magnificent release last year of the all time classic Dark Carnival.

Sound of Thunder is said to start shooting in the near future (possible 2003 summer release) and, of course, he writes everyday for a few hours to start his day. (See: Zen in the Art of Writing)

Can you imagine the unreleased volumes Mr. Bradbury must possess?!

Although much of the above mentioned is re-released, he has stated his desire to "keep a hand in" on anything bearing his name due to some earlier projects where others cut corners or failed to capture the spirit of the original work. He remains a very busy octogenarian.

So, while other prolific writers became bitter and detached (Twain, Wells, Poe, Bierce..to name a few), Mr. Bradbury has remained highly engage, vibrant, focused and exquisitely approachable. The CD interview with Donn Albright (re: Dark Carnival) is a great source for listening to the man and getting a feel for his methods.

As for science fiction, he really has not been just a SF author. It was a vehicle at which he excelled in the 40-60's. It would be very interesting to see what his current views would reveal while writing in this genre.

Nice source references of Mr. Bradbury's works: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Ray_Bradbury.htm
http://www.spaceagecity.com/bradbury/books.htm

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-14-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray B. also has a new mystery, "Let's Al Kill Constance!" coming out at the end of the year, along with another collection of short stories, and a collection of all of his poetry (some 400 poems in all) called, "They Have Not Seen the Stars." He's also apparently working on a "sequel" to 'Dandelion Wine,' according to an interview I read last year.

Needless to say, he's still writing up a storm.

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the unreleased volumes Mr. Bradbury must possess?!

Try doing the math. 1000 words a day, every day, from the age of 12. If you need dates, start from his 12th birthday, August 22, 1932, and end with his 82nd birthday, August 22, 2002. Subtract words burned in September 1947 (which I believe was a million, possibly more, you'd have to look up the interviews to be sure). Whip out your calculators, all, it adds up to quite a pile! If you want to compare it to published works, that would get tricky, as the same story often appears in several collections, but by estimating words per story and words per novel (poetry would be harder--no standard line length or margin!) but it would be possible to estimate unpublished vs. published words if you spent years on it! In the introduction to "Dark Carnival" he credits Donn Albright with unearthing many unfinished gems which have since been brought to light.

He's also apparently working on a "sequel" to 'Dandelion Wine,' according to an interview I read last year.

Yes. "Farewell Summer." The title story appears in "The Stories of Ray Bradbury."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could someone please elaborate on this sequel to 'Dandelion Wine' (dandelion, or Mr. Miller perhaps)?

I have never run across any mention of this previously. A link to the interview which mentions this would be greatly appreciated. I have always believed that 'Something Wicked this Way Comes' was a sort of sequel (as it contains the same characters, in the autumn following the summer of 'Dandelion Wine').

Posts: 31 | Location: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dlowell-

The 'Dandelion Wine' sequel, 'Farewell Summer', has apparently been in the works since the mid-'70's...William Nolan's 1975 'Ray Bradbury Companion' had it listed as a work in progress.

The recent interview (mid-2000) was conducted by Jason J. Marchi for "The Anvil," and can be found online at: www.newcenturywriter.org/sample/ANVILissue.htm. Ray B. says, of works coming out, "One is a mystery, one is a fantasy, one is a sequel to 'Dandelion Wine,' and one is a romance. A little bit of everything."

I would assume the fantasy mentioned is "From the Dust Returned," not yet published at that point. The mystery would undoubtedly be "Let's All Kill Constance!" I have no idea about the romance.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Greg

posted Hide Post
The link I posted doesn't work...Perhaps a Yahoo! or Google search would turn it up. Sorry about that.

Greg

posted Hide Post
Possibly "Farewell Summer" elaborates on Douglas's and Tom's autumn activities, as Bradbury seems to have almost NO fond memories of winter months. In our one conversation, I remarked on how it seemed he never wrote of the joys of building snow forts, sledding, or hardly even Christmas, and asked whether winter in upper Illinois was so harsh he had nothing good to say regarding it. About all I got out of him was, "It was cold."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also has a new and selected poetry collection coming out this month called
*I Live By The Invisible* put out by an Irish publisher called Salmon Publishing.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I was able to find the correct link for the interview: www.newcenturywriter.org/sampleANVILissue.htm

I always wondered why Mr. Bradbury never seemed to write of winter months. Some of my fondest memories are of frigid Februarys in Ohio, watching snow fall out the window while sitting on the floor in front of the wood stove (reading Bradbury of course).

Posts: 31 | Location: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post