Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Pick up by strangers

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick up by strangers
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for any information the entry by Dandelion about Ray being picked up by a lone woman who thought he looked "English" and therefore "safe"....where did that story come from? Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Location: Seattle, WA. | Registered: 06 June 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1966 interview containing that story originally appeared in a book called VOICES FROM THE SIXTIES: TWENTY-TWO VIEWS OF A REVOLUTIONARY DECADE, collected and edited by Pierre Berton, and published by Doubleday in 1967. That interview with Mr. Berton was later reprinted in the book, CONVERSATIONS WITH RAY BRADBURY, edited by Steven L. Aggelis, and published by the University Press of Mississippi in 2004. Specifically, in response to the interviewer's question, "Isn't it very hard to get a bus in Los Angeles?", Ray replied: "No, I had very good luck today. I went to a corner and there was a bus. I almost fell over! It was unbelievable! If I don't take the bus, I take my bicycle and I grab cabs. And then I'm picked up by strangers, which is a lot of fun. Several days ago I was outside the gymnasium in Beverly Hills waiting for a bus, and a Mercedes-Benz pulled up with a woman in mink, and she said: 'Would you like a ride?' I said, 'Yes,' even though I was rather amazed, and I got in and she drove me several miles to where I wanted to go, and I said: 'Why did you pick me up?' And she said: 'You looked very English and very safe.'"

Mr. Berton then commented, "I don't know whether that is flattering or not." To which Ray replied, "I know; I don't want to look safe."

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered if Mr.Bradbury ever took a life just to have that dark experience...

Perhaps that's where the story of, "The Town Where No One Got Off" came from.

Posts: 2 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 02 August 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loomis, as anyone who knew him could tell you, Ray Bradbury was a kind and thoughtful person, a gentle man and a gentleman. He was in fact one of the nicest persons I have ever known. There are so many writers...many of them superb writers...who have written classic crime and horror novels and stories involving murder, and none have ever had to "take a life" in order to do so. Rather, they use their excellent writing skills and imagination to invoke such dark worlds.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the out there posts on this forum, this one by Loomis is one of the out therest.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post