Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    'FAREWELL SUMMER' by Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'FAREWELL SUMMER' by Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
'FAREWELL SUMMER'

Latest on the sequel to ''Dandelion Wine":

'Farewell Summer' is almost finished, according to Ray. "Manuscript should be finished by September, 2004. Publication is planned for Summer of 2005."

Ray makes an additional note that... "A Sound of Thunder", the film, will be out at Halloween, so that should make that holiday very special."

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

This is great news. How did you find this out? Any ideas whether "Farewell Summer" is all new, or whether it incorporates previously published material?

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I spoke to Ray last weekend, he mentioned that the initial manuscript of DANDELION WINE was considered by his publisher, Doubleday, to be too long. Therefore, he deleted portions of the book, with the intent to expand them into a second book, a sequel called FAREWELL, SUMMER. He said he has been working on it, on and off, for several decades, and finally put it in his mind to finish it, for which all of his readers and fans can be eternally grateful!

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gawd! Can't wait to read it . . .

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word, "AMAZING!"

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be a spoiler, but the storyline of Farewell, Summer (and some passages from the 1998 manuscript) and its relationship to Dandelion Wine are told in detail in Chapter Four of The Life of Fiction. Ray has told me several times now that this discussion is greatly helping him finish the book.

Posts: 19 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic:

Ray faxed me this info yesterday, and it's as I've posted it.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great news, Nard. By the way, does Ray himself own a fax, or does Patrick do his faxing? Since we all know he's not too crazy about computers, I'm surprised he would use a fax. Just curious...

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper:
I know there's been times when I get a fax, but it's thru one of his daughter's faxes, because of the #. Tell you the truth, I don't know who does them now. Ray undoubtedly dictates them, but who types them up, well, probably Patrick knows that one.

posted Hide Post
Hello all,

RB sometimes faxes, but mostly Alexandra, the same way, he writes his books, He calls Z, she records it and then types it up, and faxes it back to her dad, he makes changes, then, Mr B or Z faxes it out.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray told me sometime ago that when they were doing The Ray Bradbury Theatre much of it was filmed in New Zealand of all places and that the fax machine was a very important instrument in communicating changes, directions, etc., etc.

Sometime ago I wrote Ray a letter and his answer was faxed back with Alexandra's name at the top. I think that it is nice that he has the assistance of Alexandra.

Ray has a fax machine as I have faxed him letters. Or at least when he gave me the number I assumed it was his and at his residence.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 07-21-2004).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray told me he has a FAX number. Since I have never figured out how to use the FAX on my all-in-one, I have never tried to FAX him.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news!!! Let's hope for a signed/limited edition too!!

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bsaenz24

I would go for a regular trade edition, for first edition.

But it better have a knock-out cover. It MUST! Something that would pull people to it who never would have thought of picking up the book. Hey! This is a far more visual generation than any before it.

The publisher could simutaneously offer another edition....something ''exquisite'' as well. In a dustjacket... of something very dramatic and subtle, a vintage photograph of Ray's neighborhood of the 1920's, a wrap around photo. With some graphically dramatic flourishes denoting an escape of time and season. A incredibe selection of a specific color green or greens that intuitively gives us fresh memories of our own summers past.. This art MUST be a work no less than award winning, for the best writer America has....

posted Hide Post
Well, this thread just has me filled with envy of you all being able to 'phone or fax the man himself, while I must be content with having only met him briefly years ago and now reading his works, albeit some of them autographed... (sigh)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post