Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A short story in which a man takes off his own skin

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A short story in which a man takes off his own skin
 Login/Join

posted
Several years ago, I read a short story about a man who is staying at a lodging house. Every evening, he goes to his room and peels off his skin and puts it on a coat hanger. The next morning, he put his skin back on again.

Does anyone know the name of this short story?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred:
Several years ago, I read a short story about a man who is staying at a lodging house. Every evening, he goes to his room and peels off his skin and puts it on a coat hanger. The next morning, he put his skin back on again.

Does anyone know the name of this short story?

I have this story somewhere in my collection; can't remember title or author, but will let you know when I find it. I can tell you it's not a Bradbury. You may be thinking or Ray's story "The Man Upstairs" from The October Country, also about an unusual lodger.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds vaguely familiar but it isn't anything by Bradbury. "Skeleton" would probably be the closest. I thought of some stories by T. H. White and Stephen King but it isn't those either.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred,

The story you're looking for is called "The Other Celia" by Theodore Sturgeon.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, skmckee!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, Fred. Theodore Sturgeon wrote some lovely stuff. He was one of the writers that influenced a young Ray Bradbury. So if you like Sturgeon (and you haven't already read much of Ray) check out Ray's short stories. A master of the form.