Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Recommended RB reading for newbie

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended RB reading for newbie
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, All

I'm new to the board, new to RB, and would like to ask for some guidance. Could anyone recommend a kind of "short course" in reading RB? Maybe a list of a dozen or so of his best works to get me started? Where should I begin?

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You definitely have to read Farenheit 451 and Dandelion Wine. Also, Something Wicked This Way Comes is amazing. Pretty much anything by Ray Bradbury would be worth your time to read. I hope you end up loving and appreciating Mr. Bradbury's work as much as I do.

Posts: 5 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOVELS:

-- Farenheit 451
-- Martian Chronicles
-- Something Wicked This Way Comes
-- Dandelion Wine

STORY COLLECTIONS:

There are a lot of story collections, but you can get most of the "good stuff" from the two large anthologies:

-- The Stories of Ray Bradbury. Alfred A. Knopf, NY. 1980

-- Bradbury Stories: 100 of Bradbury's Most Celebrated Tales. William Morrow, NY. 2003.

There is no overlap of stories between these two books.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion Wine and Fahrenheit 451 are my favorites, but all his books are amazing.

Posts: 16 | Location: Lancaster, CA, USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a novel seems too long, try a short story collection such as "R is for Rocket" or "the October Country" (for a bit more Halloweenish fare) but it won't matter in the end, because once you read even one short story, you'll be hooked, and will probably end up reading the whole collection. It just seems easier that way. I, personally, started with "451," and I think a lot of people did too, so it's a safe bet, unless you want to go the road less traveled by. They say it makes all the difference.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 03-23-2004).]

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post