Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Banning 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banning 451
 Login/Join

posted
here is a youtube clip of a nutter trying to get fahrenheit 451 from schools...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUq2d2OFRkk

I like the way he read it and listed all the reasons it should be banned

Posts: 33 | Location: NZ | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nutter is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I emailed the clip to Mr B - he's gotta see this!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
would love to hear what ray thinks...

its one of those dont know whether to laugh or cry stories....

its an old story, earlier posts about it on
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/7471073852

lucky the school board voted to keep it

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2006_4245875

(note the school board lawyers name Smiler)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: robnz,

Posts: 33 | Location: NZ | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robnz:
its an old story

Oldie but a goodie.

quote:
lucky the school board voted to keep it

Clever school board.

quote:
note the school board lawyers name

That's one of my favourite names. Except she spells it wrong.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The link below will take you to a newspaper article from 2017 about yet another attempt to ban FAHRENHEIT 451 from schools, this time in Florida. As the upset mother said, "...should young minds be subjected to such filth at this age in eighth grade?":

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/n...out-book-bans-banned

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link is even more important today, in 2021!

I look back a few years ago while still teaching English....
Fahrenheit 451, A Brave New World, Animal Farm, Slaughterhouse Five, To Kill A Mockingbird, Catch 22, Nineteen Eighty-four, Lord of the Flies, Diary of Anne Frank, Night, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, The Truman Story, and other thought-provoking titles are now often "challenged" reading selections! These were ALL included in my 9-12 classroom literarature units.

We regularly studied Greek classics, Shakespeare, Poe, early Sci-fi authors Swift, Shelley, Wells, Verne, along with London, Cather, Hemingway...to name just a few. Two or three personal selections per course offering were also assigned, as time allowed.

Teens in each standard and honors class continually studied grammar, strived to produce structurally accurate composition, and researched topics of interest with critical points of view addressed. References were an important part of the process so as to eliminate simple downloads and cut-and-clips that could be shuffled by as "original composition." ​

We communicated with Mr. Bradbury for nealry seventeen years. During this time, he responded so enthusiastically with students who sent him their poems, artwork, music, artistic gifts, and photographs. He appreciated their efforts, interests, and ambitions.

Once following an intensely dramatic unit which involved in-depth studies of events, atrocities, and personalities related to the Holocaust, we reached out to Dr. Elie Wiesel. He promptly responded with a magnificent letter which touched our hearts and souls. Each student received a copy of his letter, as did school officials. What a memorable exchange for young people to experience!

My personal appreciation and reward in all of this was to view the expressions on the students' faces when such messages were opened and shared in class. All had been brought about by their studies and understanding of the authors' written words.

My point!? Ban the books and you silence the authors.
Too frequently today, it seems, the loadest microphone and speaker in the hands of a politician, economist, or someone in the social spotlight get to change all of the rules of the game. Ie., Spelling and grammar are lost. Writing and reading are no longer important. Knowledge of history and vital personalities are minimized. Rules and procedures once taught carefully to young children are lost to Tik Tok, Facebook, Youtube, and that ever-present, top-corner, keyboard delete button.

As for, "...should young minds be subjected to such filth at this age in eighth grade?" Listen to your child's music playing on their ear pods or current video stream. This is were the dilemma lies. It has become acceptable on the screen, in sports, in daily business transactions, and across the room in household encounters.
> Remember the bar of soap? NO!?
Well! I guess I have said enough! Acceptable vs. Banned. . .

Mr. Bradbury said it best ~ (Page 1 of F451)
It was a pleasure to burn.
It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackened and
changed. With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its
venomous kerosene upon the world, the blood pounded in his head, and his hands were the hands of some amazing conductor playing all the symphonies of blazing and burning to bring down the tatters and charcoal ruins of history. With his symbolic helmet numbered 451 on his solid head, and his eyes all orange flame with the thought of what came next, he flicked the igniter and the house jumped up in a gorging fire that burned the evening sky red and yellow and black. He strode in a swarm of fireflies. He wanted above all, like the old joke, to shove a marshmallow on a stick in the furnace, while the flapping pigeon-winged books died on the porch and lawn of the house. While the books went up in sparkling whirls and blew away on a wind turned dark with burning.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post