Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The First Annual Ray Bradbury Festival

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The First Annual Ray Bradbury Festival
 Login/Join

posted
Just returned from the Festival moments ago, and I have one word: wow!

What a day - will try to post photos tomorrow.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good heavens! When and where was this?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, here is a link to the event, which is now concluded. We all look forward to your pictures, Doug Spaulding. Wish I could have been there!

http://www.rubicontheatre.org/special_bradbury.php

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard - you were missed!

There won't be too many photos, as there was a sign posted which read "no cameras allowed inside the Festival". So I only took a few photos inside the Festival (try and stop me!)

Been on the run ever since yesterday, and are just now on our way up to Ojai to visit our new friend Malcolm McDowell. Kidding, just kidding - we're on the way up to pick a Hallowe'en squash and have lunch. He does live in Ojai, Malcolm.

When I post photos later, you'll get the Malcolm reference.

Tobias Andersen was incredible in The Illustrated Man! Imagine a one-man show running about ninety minutes total. He brought so many stories to virtual life right before our eyes. He put me in mind of the folks at the end of Fahrenheit - walking around memorizing books.

As an encore, he came back out and quoted an entire Martian story for us. Such a talent.

Watching Ray watch the performances and hearing his occasional "oh God, beautiful", with tears in his voice was half the fun. After, he proclaimed this "the greatest day of my life!"

A charming story: at the break (after The Halloween Tree and before The Illustrated Man), we were out on the sidewalk where Ray was being chauffeured to his hotel room for a rest, and he saw me petting a yellow cat which was in the bush next to the theatre. "Bring me the cat", he called. I coaxed the slightly skittish animal into my arms, toted him over, and gently placed him on Ray's lap. He stroked the magnificent yellow creature, and said, "oh he's beautiful". Then I took him back and placed him in his residence, and Ray went to take a cat-nap.

Magickal day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
dandelion, here is a link to the event, which is now concluded. We all look forward to your pictures, Doug Spaulding. Wish I could have been there!

http://www.rubicontheatre.org/special_bradbury.php

Don't let Doug fool you he had plenty of photo ops. I know because I was sitting next to him and his every so patient wife. ;-]

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Ray is reaching the age when every day is the greatest day of his life.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt: Don't let Doug fool you he had plenty of photo ops.

I couldn't get to the camera in time.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Couple of photos.

"Live Forever!"