Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dark of Quirky
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark of Quirky
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
biplane: Ah, yes. The Hyde to our better Jekyll?

To refer back to earlier Poe posts in this string, didn't his protagonists always lure the reader in with niceties, persuasions, friendliness, and compliments? Once gathered close and the tale further revealed, we suddenly find ourselves with said narrator in a long, isolated dungeon or a locked room, he with cleaver or trowel in hand, or at the bottom of the staircase eliminating that damned cat and wife as well. How about the kindly old man whom we all loved and empathized with because of his filmed, vulture eye. Oh, he was dealt with impartially! We walked along of our own free will just to find out what was going to happen.

So, Poe, Bradbury, King, Stevenson, and Mr. Bierce as well, all are kindly masters of wordplay. Why, Shakespeare too allowed a character or two to feel the steel or taste the bitterest of herbs! Did that make him a dark writer. I think not.

Instead, loveable. We continue to read on, do we not? There must be something in these ironies that draws us into such tragic webs. As for Mr. Bradbury, think of the conclusions drawn in these stories: Veldt, Illustrated Man (ss), Rocket Man, Kaleidoscope, City, Small Assassin, Usher II, Emissary, Flying Machine, Soft Rains, and so many more.

However, can you name a finer, uplifting man to friends and fans that RB?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Hyde our better Jekyll.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he's just loony. He writes on some very unique subjects. He does have wonderful ideas however.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think that bradbury's just writing to write. he is a good writer and he says that he writes whatever comes to mind so i think that hes almost a regular joe with a creative side.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that everybody has a dark side. some show it and some dont. i think that writing stories is bradburys way of letting that side of him show. i think that he writes some pretty interesting stuff because of it even though it is sometimes choppy

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Bradbury is looney or dark. I believe he just has a wild imagination and needs a way to express it. So, he writes creative stories.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post