Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Just Spoke With Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Spoke With Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
After seeing Falling Upward Sunday afternoon, I thought it was good enough to tell Ray himself, so Sunday night I rang him and did just that. I said "you're a magician - you've put magic on that stage!" He was so pleased to hear it, and when I said that I might come back to see it again, he replied, "I'll be there on Friday, so if you come then, I'll see you there."

I might just do.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, are any of the RB plays being captured on video tape? We have read so many great comments about the many performances of Mr. Bradbury's works that are being brought to stage over the past several months, it is only logical to have them captured for more to enjoy in another medium.

Or are there too many licensing and copyright catches that would prevent this from happening? Ask Mr. B when next you see him what the chances of this happening with current and future endeavors. What a GREAT educational tool these could be! (Pass that on to him for me also!)

The stage allows for the magic to which you refer to occur. When one reads his works, the images are alive and vivid. This must be the effect on stage as performers literally bring the actions and characters to life. "Rip the pages out of the book and put them up on the stage" ...so to speak!

patrask's comments about the performance bringing tears to his eyes says it all!

(I know there have been several stage versions of his stories lately. Can you, or someone on board, identify them for us?)
fpfromNNY

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Doug, are any of the RB plays being captured on video tape?

I am not aware of any, although I did see Kersh taping at Green Town, but that may have been the night of Ray Bradbury Live! which he was taping, rather than the play - I disremember.

But you put me in mind of a great idea, and I know just the crew that can do it!

quote:
patrask's comments about the performance bringing tears to his eyes says it all!

Well, it could have been the fog-producing dry ice as well, although point taken.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disremember is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed, DS! Do it!
f

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea when his next public appearence might be? I am prepared to cross the continent to pay my respects.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:
Any idea when his next public appearence might be? I am prepared to cross the continent to pay my respects.

On the 2nd Mr. B will be at the San Bernardino Library as part of his support for the Friend's of the Library. On the 5th, it is my guess, that he'll probably be at his play. On the 6th he is the keynote speaker at the Duarte Festival of Authors. The following Saturday he'll be at the Long Beach Friend's of the Library. The man is a workhorse.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was Saturday when I spoke with Ray via telephone, but anyway...

Got a call from a common friend who said "Ray wants you to call him immediately!" (guess he had mislaid my number), so I called him immediately, and we spoke of a screenplay we're producing to (hopefully) shoot this summer and screen at the "Ray Bradbury Theatre & Film Festival" in Ojai in November.

Perhaps I should go back: Friday, I went over to Ray's and showed him the screenplay we were working on (second draft), and he made a couple suggestions, and blessed it.

Then last night we were at the rehearsal of FH 451 at the playhouse, and ran into Ray just arriving. I gave him a copy of the script, and started to leave. Heading out the door, I ran into Donn Albright just arriving, so chatted him up for a few minutes then left.

Producing a short film is a lot of work. I hope we manage it alright.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...we spoke of a screenplay we're producing to (hopefully) shoot this summer and screen at the "Ray Bradbury Theatre & Film Festival" in Ojai in November.

Hopefully is right - we can't seem to raise the $3000 (approximately) we need to put it into action, and there's not much time left.

Anybody know any rich folks who would like to be an Executive Producer?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Instead of one rich exec prod, why not get 50 people to put up a modest 60 dollars each.

Have a yard sale. (I was going to write "jumble sale", but I think this is a quaint britishism you might not understand.)

Sell lemonade on the streets.

Start whitewashing a fence. When neighbourhood kids come along and beg to be allowed to join in, charge them $10 a head.

Sell your car.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Sell your car.

If we move to Europe, I will do!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Who is the "we" that are trying to produce the movie? Surely Ray himself would not have any trouble coming up with $3000 himself. Should I take it that he is merely an "advisor" on this project?

Matthew Allen

Posts: 8 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PoseidonMA:
Who is the "we" that are trying to produce the movie? Surely Ray himself would not have any trouble coming up with $3000 himself. Should I take it that he is merely an "advisor" on this project?

Matthew, we are independent filmmakers, and Ray has nothing to do with the production, other than having written the story and approved our script.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Anybody know any rich folks who would like to be an Executive Producer?

Hugh Hefner?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Ray. Last Thursday night at supper, I asked Ray to submit an interview for the Fr Electrico documentary, and he said "call me Monday at noon and we'll set something up."

Well, I called, he answered, and then said that he was busy "writing a screenplay". "A screenplay, eh?" "Yes", he said "I'm writing the screenplay for Dandelion Wine for the Russians." "Wow," I said, "I'm sure glad they're soliciting your work."

He said "call me back Friday to set up the interview."

This is a gentleman who is as nice as he is busy.

"Live Forever!"