Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Just Spoke With Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Spoke With Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Ray. We're to come over Wednesday (with the sculptor) to get some footage for the Fr Electrico project.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Father's Day I called Ray, who, besides the usual books and plays, is hard at work saving libraries and said he had saved two in the last several weeks.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Word Love"--both a Beatles song and one of Ray Bradbury's stories in The Martian Chronicles, where that is the only word to come through in an earth-to-Mars conversation, and close to my last two conversations with him.

I called him on July 3 and, as usual, he first asked, "What have you been doing?" I answered, "Too much gardening and not enough writing, ha-ha." I don't know if he understood me, he just sort of laughed.

I told him I called to ask if he had met or knew any of the Beatles. Between my cell phone and his speaker phone, he didn't understand the question. Finally a man with him had to repeat it. (Thanks, whoever you are!) He said, "Yes, I met the drummer," and pretty much repeated the story Richard posted here a few years ago. He didn't mention taking his teenage daughters to a David Bowie concert or Ringo being backstage, but did say, "When he found out I was there he ran across the room so fast to meet me he tripped over a chair"! I said, "That is SO COOL!" and laughed and laughed.

Well, my opinion of Ringo just jumped 1000%. Apparently Ray's daughters' opinion of him jumped quite a bit at the time as well. I don't know when David Bowie started giving concerts, but Ray's oldest daughter turned 13 pre-Beatles and his last one turned 20 in 1978, so this meeting can be placed between these dates.

I also tried to ask if he ever met Michael Jackson, and he said something about "enjoying a film of his" and I asked if he meant the "Thriller" video but from his remarks I couldn't tell if we were talking about that or maybe a film of Ringo's. Finally Ray just said, "Write me a letter" and I said I'd be glad to. If he answers maybe we can straighten out these matters, if not also fine.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Ray, calling to wish him a happy Bastille day!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post