Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Matheson's BEARDLESS WARRIORS and a New Story by Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matheson's BEARDLESS WARRIORS and a New Story by Ray
 Login/Join

posted
In 2015, Gauntlet Press will be publishing a two-book set, Richard Matheson's fine World War II novel, THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS, and a companion book called BROTHERS IN ARMS, comprised of stories by other writers inspired by Matheson's novel. Ray's fans will be happy to know that a story written by him and previously unpublished, "Final Day", will be included in BROTHERS IN ARMS. There will be three diffferent editions of the set, one selling for $75, one for $125 and one for $500, priced according to the size of the edition and the number of authors signatures included. Orders will start to be taken on January 1, 2015.

On a personal note, THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS (based on Matheson's own experiences as a foot soldier during the Second World War) is one of the best war novels I have ever read. I remember giving a copy to my Dad, who also served during WWII, and he agreed the book was excellent.

Here is a link to more information about the book and how to order:

https://www.gauntletpress.com/...nd-brothers-in-arms/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I would love a copy of "Final Day" - I can't justify the price tag. $75.00 for a story?

This story is listed in the "Unpublished Stories" appendix in Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction. This list of "unpublished stories" makes my head swim. Perhaps someday these will all see the light of day.

https://books.google.com/books...hort%20story&f=false

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Gauntlet Press provided the following update on its forthcoming publication of THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS by Richard Matheson, and the companion book BROTHERS IN ARMS. The two books will published in 2018. Better late than never! And BROTHERS IN ARMS will include the previously unpublished Ray Bradbury story, "Final Day":

"We have just one author left to sign the tipsheets for Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms. Brothers in Arms is an anthology which constitutes the second book in the two book set. It contains a previously unpublished story by Ray Bradbury, compliments of his bibliographer Donn Albright, and two previously unpublished short stories by Richard Matheson. We hope to have the two-set edition available this coming summer."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
As much as I would love a copy of "Final Day" - I can't justify the price tag. $75.00 for a story?

This story is listed in the "Unpublished Stories" appendix in Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction. This list of "unpublished stories" makes my head swim. Perhaps someday these will all see the light of day.

https://books.google.com/books...hort%20story&f=false

Me neither but I am glad to know of this.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an update on the forthcoming BEARDLESS WARRIORS/BROTHERS IN ARMS books (the latter book including a previously unpublished Ray Bradbury story), from today's Gauntlet Press newsletter:

"We are in the midst of laying out Richard Matheson's two book Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms set. Please note that a number of editions of the book are sold out. We have 6 lettered copies remaining. With all of the other signatures (plus Bradbury and Matheson) this will be a unique collectible."

posted Hide Post
Here is the latest update on the BEARDLESS WARRIORS/BROTHERS IN ARMS two-book set being published by Gauntlet Press, with the latter book containing the unpublished Ray Bradbury story "Final Day", as well as work by William Nolan and Rod Serling:

"Proofs have been approved for the two book collection The Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms and delivery is just a few weeks away. We have 6 lettered copies remaining (signed by both Bradbury and Matheson besides numerous other contributors).

Additionally, only a limited number of copies of the Brothers in Arms anthology are available (not signed by Matheson, Bradbury, or Serling. This is is the only edition available other than the two-book lettered).

This incredible anthology includes contributions from: Clive Barker, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, Heather Graham, John Densmore (of The Doors), Allan Cole, Harry Tuttledove, David J. Schow, Richard Chizmar, William F. Nolan, Joe Lansdale, R.C. Matheson, Tom Monteleone, Mort Castle, Preston Sturges, Barry Hoffman, Gary Braunbeck, Kevin J. Anderson, Whitley Strieber, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Mike Resnick, Chet Williamson, Rod & Anne Serling, and Rosanne Cash.

We need to give the printer final numbers within a week."

posted Hide Post
Today, I received my copy of the two-book set published by Gauntlet Press, Richard Matheson's fine WWII novel THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS, and BROTHERS IN ARMS, a collection of short stories inspired by Matheson's novel. As noted in prior posts, the latter book contains Ray Bradbury's previously unpublished story, "Final Day". "Final Day" was a dark and melancholy story, a tone fitting for its subject of war's impact on ordinary people.