Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Philadelphia needs a Ray Bradbury...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philadelphia needs a Ray Bradbury...
 Login/Join

posted
...to save its libraries from closure!

http://www.philly.com/inquirer....html?cmpid=15585797

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The library as we know it maysomeday fade into something we would hardly recognize today. Or eventually just be an oddity. Or take shape in a way we can scarce imagine. Information is the commodity of the future. And the quicker and more of it is the tool of choice. The old romance of paper smells and textures and bindery may someday be fully relocated only to the lofty experiences of only poets and artists.

If a new generation comes around without the experience of books and library and all of Kindle reader, the internet displays and Twitter, Facebook and Blogging, texting and MySpace triumph in daily realities, (plus all the stuff we don't even know about yet), libraries will hold the specters of old museums gone to damp cellars, graveyards, and other nasty places.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree. One of the lessons from Fahrenheit 451 is that it's not the physical book that matters so much, its retaining the stories, ideas and wisdom from books for sharing with others, and for future generations.

But that's not why Philadelphia (and other places, no doubt) is shutting down its library services!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post