Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    the concrete mixer, a humorous satire..

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the concrete mixer, a humorous satire..
 Login/Join

posted
How many of you would agree that "The Concrete Mixer" is a somehow funny satire? why? give opinions, i need to see how many of you thing this is correct.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mm.. I read the story again, and everytime I read it I find it more complex, and seems to get even twistier each time, if someone can explain it to me I would appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
The Ray Bradbury Theater (also on vhs RB Chronicles, I believe) has a great rendition of this s.s. The street scene of the welcoming politicians and the local yokels partying it up is hilarious. The characterizations are right out of Mr.B's story.

The theme is "if you can't beat them, have them join you!" It is, on a serious note, a bitter-sweet story. The materialism for which the rest of the world seems to so detest us proves the downfall of the noble Martians. RB wrote this in the early 50's. Were such moods evident back then? Post WWII, things were good for a while! Then the Sixty's all that great R&R, the bizarre 70's, lost 80's, and decade that may have best been captured in The Concrete Mixer, the out of control 90's.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how i can contact Ray???

Posts: 7 | Registered: 03 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That episode of RB Theater made an impression on me. Ben Cross was great as the Martian. He's out of this world, anyway. I haven't seen the version of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" in which he portrayed Captain Nemo. I understand it was a silly adaptation, much different from the book, but based on the book's description he'd be my first choice. I also wanted him as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter movies, but Alan Rickman is great in that. Barnabas Collins, though, Ben Cross was NOT!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Ben Cross was a TERRIBLE Barnabas Collins; but then, I've got the original series so ingrained in me, that I don't think anyone else could be Barnabas! I did see Ben as Nemo in 20000 Leagues; it was kind of hokey! OK, it was a LOT hokey!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mm... I'm not sure that is the theme, is in it something related to materialism? and how this materialized life style is humanity's real destruction?

posted Hide Post
Vansama: Recently you opened a thread on "No particular Night or Morning". Did you check out the responses?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to write this again (I'm having problems with my computer)

Mr. Dark: I have not been able to post any replies because until today, my computer was dead. I've just read what you posted and I think it is a great analysis of the story. I generally like to talk about different stories because I like doing it after I am done reading them. This is the first time I read "The Illustrated Man," and I want to really understand some things before reading it twice. I want the second time to be better. Also, right now I'm more interested in knowing about "The concrete Mixer," and "Marionettes Inc." because I've read them, bout until now they seem, specially Marionetts Inc/" to be quite confusing. However, I want to keep talking about "No particual Night or Morning," and let you know I really apreciate your help.