Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "And The Rock Cried Out"
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"And The Rock Cried Out"
 Login/Join

posted
I will keep this short and sweet. I am an 11th grade student and we got a homework assignment for this short story. We need a accurate summary of the story. Along with that, we also need descriptions of the characters, setting, conflict, a theme, the crisis and climax, the tone used and that's it. The catch is we need to use the internet to get it before reading the story. We will then take what we found online and compare it to what other people in the class have and then Thursday e will read the story as a class. We will then compare what we have from the internet to what we write down from when we read it. I need help finding these things and if you could help, I would be grateful. Thanks and if you can help me, please e-mail me at xxZombieMan13xx@yahoo.com and if possibly, if I could gett his stuff by 8:30 tomorrowe morning, it would be great

Posts: 6 | Location: rochester, ny, usa | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviews of this and other stories can be found here:

THE DAY IT RAINED FOREVER by Ray Bradbury- A REVIEW
... Bradbury shows us another side to this, though, in stories I didn ... Cream Suit", about
the life of hispanic underdogs, but "And The Rock Cried Out" is apocalyptic ...
dspace.dial.pipex.com/l.j.hurst/dayraind.htm

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to have all this information BEFORE you read the story? C'mon! Who're you trying to kid here? Admit it, this is just a clever ploy to get the good people of this site to do your heavy lifting for you.

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I confess to sharing pterran's concern. I generally am willing to assist, but with my workload and schedule I can't turn stuff like this around in 12 hours. I often don't see these kinds of postings immediately. If your teacher asked you to turn this kind of thing around in one day, it's an optimistic timeline -- especially if s/he had hoped to see you get some "live" assistance and input.

As a teacher, I prefer my students read the primary material first, form their own conclusions and interpretations, and then go out and solicit further depth and other perspectives. This assignment is backwards from how I would have assigned it. Also, I'm not sure how much internet stuff is available on a short story like, "And the Rock Cried Out". Probably more than I know, I'll admit.

When I see questions like this posted, I tend to go re-read the story so I can bring a fresh perspective to it. Then I'm happy to wade in with my opinions and interpretations (my kids don't care what my opinions are!). Many of these questions concern stories I haven't read in awhile, so I need to get a fresh perspetive.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-11-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I got some of the stuff I needed covered today since we finished reading "And The Rock Cried Out" but their are a few things I need.

If you know the conflict, crisis and climax, and a good theme. If you got any of those please let me know

Posts: 6 | Location: rochester, ny, usa | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SB: If you have finished the reading of the story, then you may be ready to interpret through your own perspective. What can be better than that? A personal opinion based on what has been read and learned! Now simply
consider the following and jot down a few notes to yourself (with the short story at hand for reference).

First, "conflict?" - What would you say is the main problem challenging the protagonist?

"Crisis and climax?" -What is the major dilemma to be overcome? -The highest point of the story's intensity (or trouble for the main character)?

"Theme?" -What is the reason this story is being told? What is the message the reader might receive as the events conclude? What can be learned generally speaking?

Now, review your notes. YOU did it! (I hope.)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-12-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with fjpalumbo's comments above. If you've read the text, pick out what you can of the questions he's listed out.

Part of the fun of literature is that, although the story is written by an author, the experience of the story is a collaborative act. That is, as you read, you create images, interpretations, voices, scenes, etc., in your head. Part of the story is there, but part of it you "create" as you go along. Film (which I love) provides stronger images, voices, scenes, etc., and that is good, but literature (text) leaves much of the creation of the story to you.

To a certain extent (themes ought to be pretty consistent -- although even there, religious, philosophical, or cultural assumptions may change theme interpretation to a certain extent)each person's take on the story will be slightly nuanced.

So I agree with fjpalumbo. Having read the story, go through it again and create it anew as you analyze it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did take those notes but I just would like to compare what I had with what you guys had. For instance, I said it was either man vs self or man vs society for the conflict. I am trying to determine whioch one it would be since I have many valid points for both of those and I thought maybe you guys would have some insight to help me out.

For Crisis and Climax, I also have a few ideas. For example, on Crisis, I had a feeling it might have been when John Webb tried to get into Juatala and the border guards wouldn't let them. Climax I wasn't totally sure on and am still trying to figure out the best possible climax.

As for theme, I am kind of lost. I thought about using prejudice or wealth as possible topics for a theme, but I am probably wrong so I am trying to write some new themes.

So I am not asking for direct answers but rather then help to guide me on the right track

posted Hide Post
Well, some of the collaborative fun of literature is between various readers, not just within an individual reader. That's why there are so many reading groups.

Now that you've done some reading and thinking, I'll try to dig up my copy, reread it, and give my vacuous opinions. Which collection is it in?

Also, did you enjoy the story, or did it turn out to just be an assignment?

NEVERMIND about the collection question. I have it in "The Vintage Bradbury" Cover price of $1.95 (that should give you some idea of my age!)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-12-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Well I thought of it as an assignment, but it was a ok assignment. It wasn't the best or easiest assignment I have ever had but it was ok. It was a good read if you like science fiction. I am not a huge book reader with the exception of some books I think are good reads, but I thought it was ok.

posted Hide Post
I've always seen the story as being about the conflict between the haves and the have-nots of the world and the crisis of their inevitable confrontation.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee! I wasn't that aware of how many students use this format...for school projects, homework answers... until lately. So I guess I'm waiting for the ultimate 'stupid' posting. It'll go something like this:

Hi! I looking for some info on writer Ray Bradbury. Hope this is the right place. Anyone heard of him? I sure can use some help here. Thanks.

(Hmm. Let me guess. A question exactly like that has already been previously posted....)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe not, but a little too close for comfort there.

posted Hide Post
This is definitely a different homework/research format than the ones I had when I was a kid. But I like the idea of going to a community of fans and gathering a variety of viewpoints and counsel. I also like to see younger students come here because it may be that we can help turn them on to Bradbury -- who will then turn them on to the world.

I do squirm when I see all the little faces and the half-english some students are using. It kind of gives me the intellectual willeys!

I do like to know that the students inquring here have actually read and thought about the story first. In my college assignments, I let them (students) use the internet as PART of their research, but warn them that there is more garbage than good out here. (Not at this particular site, naturally).

By the way, Superbeast, I'm still hoping to re-read this story and comment sometime this weekend. I hope that isn't too late to help.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-14-2002).]

posted Hide Post
It's cool if I can get the info over the weekend. If I can get it by 8:30 Monday morning that would be cool.

This is the only assignment we were told to use the internet and other people to get info and their views on it. We read like 10 other stories and we never had to do this. I guess it was because it was very hard to understand, atleast according to my teacher